El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just on a apple box venting here. :evil:

I have been a huge Hod Rod magazine fan for most of my life. It's a part of American muscle car history. There has been a huge debate in that magazine about the Hot Rod staff wanting to change there style and showing more imports. Tech as well as cover stories.

This past year it has been clear to me the direction they are moving. Each month there has been info on imports as well as Amerian iron like the Fords focus & Neon's. If I want to see imports I will buy one of the many import mags. I can care less what you can do with a Honda Civic, on the street or on the salt flats! So I have been wating for my substription to end. Popular Hotrodding magizine now has my vote as well as the Super Chevy mags.

So this week I receive my "Last" issue in the mail. You know the ones with, "This is your last issue" all over it and your last chance to keep it going without missing an exciting issue!

The issue was all about their just past 2003 "Power Tour"...It was the BEST issue I have read this whole year! Nothing but Amerian muscle cars through out. Great pic's, great stories and articles....Gee maybe I just might keep it for one more year. Then I find and read in the issue...

Hot Rod's new editor David Freiburger said about this issue...Quote: The mail continues to be dominated by readers defining for us what is and isn't a hot rod, and it's gotten pretty narrow in come cases. Meanwhile, life goes on. And it went on big-time at Power Tour, which you'll likely tire of hearing us rant about in this issue. Wanna write us about something other than sport compacts and Power Tour? We'd welcome it....End quote

The power tour of 2003 was a huge sucess and due to people like us with a passion for the American Muscle cars. The participation of gearheads this year was doubled from last year. That is what we drive, what we love and what we want to read about. This is who we are and what we do. American muscle cars are our passion. Do not tease me with a one off issue of what I want each month. :evil:

Good bye for now Hot Rod magazine. Remember who made your magazine a great one. You have made up your mind to go after the younger market with Honda's Neon's ect. You will not tease me with an all American issue every now and then.

(By the way both my boys drive bowties and hate the front wheel drive crap! A '97 Z28 LT-1 an a '00 Camaro SS LS1! There is still alot of younger generation that loves American Muscle!)

I think I will also email this to Hod Rod Magazine.

(Hope I did not go on to long here)

Dave...Guns smoking here way out west! :evil:

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I agree. I'll probably let my subscription run out.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I am in total agreement with you. They are sellouts! Lets hope Super Chevy doesn't go the same path. I'm not so sure Car Craft isn't already testing the waters, their tech articles are getting leaner and less informative. :mad: I don't know how old this Friedburger guy is, maybe he's part of the younger generation ricer kid crowd. If they were smart they'd start a new mag for ricers and call it "Ricer Roni Rod"

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree with you 70ELCO i to have be noticing the increase in ricer coverage and i too am getting tired of it. I have to say i really starting to like chevy high performance, but my favorite car mag has always been car craft you always get a little of everything(i sometimes enjoy reading about iron other than chevy) with them and they have good tech articles and how to do things on the cheap.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My Hot Rod "1 Issue Ahead / Don't let your subscription run out" issue came just the other day. I will not be renewing my subscription for even one more issue.

I for one, have learned a lot in the past and had hoped to continue to learn from Hot Rod. But quite frankly, I don't want to learn about "imports" now or ever.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I stopped all three of my mags. Got tired of seeing ghetto styled wheels and 23 inch tires on classics. Hate that look and always will. Glad I got them all dstopped before the ricer editions made it to the house.

Sad isn't it? That's ok though, because with these forums, we don't really need their slanted advice anymore anyway.

·
Registered
126 Posts
May be good news

I have it on pretty good authority(my son) that "PRIME MEDIA" who bought Hot Rod and Peterson Publications have been running it into the ground . I to have been a solid subscriber since the early 70's and have been disappointed by the lack of articles and the increase of advertisments lately. Well I've been told that whom ever it was that owned Peterson Pub. is also upset and looking into buying back a few of his favorites. Keep those letters going people, if nothing else it will get some trash can filling and someone has to notice that.Put the riceburners back in the import mags and AMERICAN IRON back in Hot Rod.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree "Hot Rod " sold me their last issue last May. If I want to read it I'll go to the library to read it and IF something is of intrest I scan it. "Super Chevy" is my choice for now untill they screw up. I have zero confidence in any magazine lately because they have to please the advertisers first ($$$) is the name of their game, if you think that your $12.95 subscription is paying the bills I have a bridge in Tonawanda NY to sell you. Keep up the pressure with e-mails to your choice of reading material and send a copy to the advertisers that your unhappy with the direction the mag is going.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not trying to go off on a tangent here, but I haven't noticed anything different with Car Craft lately. Well, except that they don't have the same editor or technical person anymore. The tech editor, Marlan Davis, went to some other magazine, so that may explain why it's different. FWIW, Freiburger actually used to be the editor at Car Craft a few years ago, so I know he's not from the younger, rice crowd. Check this out: http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild/1029/index.html

·
Registered
108 Posts
I, too, am not renewing my subscription to Hot Rod. In addition to Super Chevy, Chevy High Performance is also very good. My favorite of all time was MuscleCar Review, but unfortunately it was also bought out by Primedia and is no more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts