El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not believe there is a right or wrong answer but what is the definition of Hot Rod or Hot Rodding? Is it a specific set year of cars? or is it more of a style of car building/lifestyle?:dontknow: I can find the definition online but was curious to what everyone else thought of the matter.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i believe the idea of hot rodding isnt limited to domestic cars, its not any specific type of car, its the idea of people getting a car, building it up, or modifying it and driving it, showing it off or racing it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i believe the idea of hot rodding isnt limited to domestic cars, its not any specific type of car, its the idea of people getting a car, building it up, or modifying it and driving it, showing it off or racing it.
X2^ what zach01 said

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
The definition of a "Hot Rod" is any motor vehicle that has been modified from its original factory condition.

Hot Rodding...the act of rendering a vehicle non-stock

*note that the above definitions use capital letters. This is only allowed when the changes/modifications have been done personally by the owner/driver. If you hire someone to make the changes/modifications, you are NOT ALLOWED to use capital letters, and if caught claiming that you actually did make the changes yourself, the immediate sentence is to be restricted to driving a Prius (in the color baby blue) or other electric car, which you will not be allowed to modify in any way, for eternity.

:lildevil:

·
Registered
555 Posts

hot rodding...the act of rendering a vehicle non-stock

*note that the above definitions use capital letters. This is only allowed when the changes/modifications have been done personally by the owner/driver. If you hire someone to make the changes/modifications, you are not allowed to use capital letters, and if caught claiming that you actually did make the changes yourself, the immediate sentence is to be restricted to driving a prius (in the color baby blue) or other electric car, which you will not be allowed to modify in any way, for eternity.

lol!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Ask the guys over at Jalopy Journal if your '84 is a hot rod and then put on yer flame retardant suit! :Eyecrazy:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Hot rods are typically American cars with large engines modified for linear speed. The origin of the term "hot rod" is unclear. One explanation is that the term is a contraction of "hot roadster," meaning a roadster that was modified for speed. Another possible origin includes modifications to or replacement of the camshaft(s), sometimes known as a "stick" or "rod". A camshaft designed to produce more power is sometimes called a "hot stick" or a "hot rod". Roadsters were the cars of choice because they were light. The term became commonplace in the 1930s or 1940s as the name of a car that had been "hopped up" by modifying the engine in various ways to achieve higher performance.
{ Wikipedia, }
Donny

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Hot rods are typically American cars with large engines modified for linear speed. The origin of the term "hot rod" is unclear. One explanation is that the term is a contraction of "hot roadster," meaning a roadster that was modified for speed. Another possible origin includes modifications to or replacement of the camshaft(s), sometimes known as a "stick" or "rod". A camshaft designed to produce more power is sometimes called a "hot stick" or a "hot rod". Roadsters were the cars of choice because they were light. The term became commonplace in the 1930s or 1940s as the name of a car that had been "hopped up" by modifying the engine in various ways to achieve higher performance.
{ Wikipedia, }
Donny
he had to look it up because he wouldn't know one if it ran over him!

:poke:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Come down here, I got some big fat tires for you, then I'll run over you with my car!!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would modifications pertain only to the motor or would it be any type of modification to the vehicle from its original state? For sake of argument.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Would modifications pertain only to the motor or would it be any type of modification to the vehicle from its original state? For sake of argument.
In my often wrong opinion, to increase the performance of a vehicle would be to hot rod it. To change the body of a vehicle would be to customize it. To customize and hot rod a vehicle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,priceless!:smileyb:

Doug

·
Registered
852 Posts

Hot Rodding...the act of rendering a vehicle non-stock

*note that the above definitions use capital letters. This is only allowed when the changes/modifications have been done personally by the owner/driver. If you hire someone to make the changes/modifications, you are NOT ALLOWED to use capital letters, and if caught claiming that you actually did make the changes yourself, the immediate sentence is to be restricted to driving a Prius (in the color baby blue) or other electric car, which you will not be allowed to modify in any way, for eternity.

When people pay someone to build them a car and then claim they did all the work gets under my skin. they seem to have this smug arrogant way about them. and you can tell them from a mile away. they know whats done to THEIR car but no knowlege about how or why whats done to their car makes it what it is. that stuff is a huge pet peeve to me for some reason. from what ive experienced theyre the same type who will run their mouth about how fast they are but refuse to race and prove it. or if they do race and they lose they have a dozon reasons why they lost and theres always the 'let me put my cam in, or put nerw gears in and ill beat you' i always smile and tell them they know where to find me when theyre ready to get beat again.

Some of the best races ive ever been in, i knew i was gonna lose before we even lined up.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Nitro Funny Cars must be the ultimate Hot Rod. I can't remember a vehicle I owned that I left totally stock..

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
When people pay someone to build them a car and then claim they did all the work gets under my skin. they seem to have this smug arrogant way about them. and you can tell them from a mile away. they know whats done to THEIR car but no knowlege about how or why whats done to their car makes it what it is. that stuff is a huge pet peeve to me for some reason. from what ive experienced theyre the same type who will run their mouth about how fast they are but refuse to race and prove it. or if they do race and they lose they have a dozon reasons why they lost and theres always the 'let me put my cam in, or put nerw gears in and ill beat you' i always smile and tell them they know where to find me when theyre ready to get beat again.

Kind of like people claiming Military service when they never served. Since the Supreme Court ruled that there's nothing illegal about that, people will continue to lie about their cars too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts