El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Ok, well the hot start problem is back again in my 1970 Elky SS 396. The elky is completely stock. I cleaned the ground wire from the battery to the motor block, still no good. The wires on the solenoid are tight, so that cant be the problem. Timing is between 4 and 6 degrees at idle with the idle at 800 in park and the vacuum advance disconnected and pluged. When the engine is hot, the starter seems to bind up and not turn the motor over. When its cold it turns over normal. One weird thing I noticed tonight is that the battery posts get very hot to the point I burned my hand when I touched the top of the posts. The battery cables were also very hot.

What would solve this hot start problem? And what is causing the battery terminals and cables to get hot?

I have an aftermarket starter heat shield on order from The Paddock since Year One and Ground Up GM originals were discontinued.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Brian, maybe it's time to replace the wiring if it's original. Old wiring breaks down under current load. Higher temperature = greater resistance = low voltage to solenoid. The battery and cables are getting hot because the starter is working harder under lower voltage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
had the same prob on my chevelle, i ended up changing the solenoid on the starter, the copper contact plate inside was wore out.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Brian, I had the same exact problem with my '72. I relocated the starter solenoid away from the heat of the headers. That cured it.

For more info go to Starter soleniod relocation.

Also, the December issue of Chevy High Performance has the exact article you need on page 74, including an outfit called Mad Enterprises that sells a kit.

I also have MS Word document that explains it. I have emailed it to you.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, today I got a reman'd starter with the hi temp solenoid which is exactly like my old one. Also, got in the mail yesterday the MR. Gasket starter heat shield which also covers the whole starter and solenoid so I will see what difference this makes on my problem. Hopefully I will be able to get this taken care of either tomorrow or monday. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It seems obvious, but clean the battery terminals really good and be sure that you have a good connection. Also try to move the terminals to make sure that one is not broken inside the battery. As to removing and cleaning: A lot of times the terminals look perfect, but have corrosion between the post and connector with no visible corrosion. If this is the case, the car will start fine "cold" or after sitting a couple of hours, but doesn't want to start "hot". The "cold" start works because there is no heat at the connection, but the connection at the battery gets hot during the first start and the heat creates resistance, then the connection gets hotter as the alternator tries to recharge the battery and the resistance increases more and so on. That next start when the car is still "hot" is a problem because the hot terminal creates so much electrical resistance that you don't get current to the starter. The lights and stuff will still work, though. This was one of those I learned the hard way about 25 years ago. Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

Thanks for everyones help with this. I put the Mr. Gasket starter and solenoid heat shield on and also replaced the starter with a reman'd one that had a hi temp solenoid on it. So far the problem seems to have gone away after running it for a while, letting it sit about 5-10 mins then trying to restart it having no probs. Now I have a problem with the charging system not giving a full charge. A post has been made with this problem. Thanks again to everyone that gave suggestions and ideas and hopefully you all will be able to help solve this mystery now with the charging system.

Thanks,

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts