El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took the time and installed a remote solenoid on the fender well.
This gives your stock solenoid near 100% battery voltage,as the jumper wire is short,and the battery cable gives you a very good voltage supply.
Also makes connecting accessories an easy experience.
The part is $6 at rock auto...Part # SS588T
I bought a couple and plan to convert all my projects.
You will need an extra battery cable.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The heat from the headers wreck havoc on the solenoid.
The increased voltage helps eliminate the hot start problem.

·
Supporting Member
4,524 Posts
This fix woks good. I did it to mine years ago. It also moves the Fusible Links out from underneath the car to a place where you can actually see them and work on them. It also makes it very easy to hook up a remote starter switch when you are working on the engine. To make it real easy, I permanently wired in a starter switch under the hood, with a quick disconnect connector. Just plug in the starter switch and I'm ready to "bump". This could be done with the stock starter setup as well.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I saw the thread topic and assumed you were having problems.

I was going to answer that same fix.

Old trick but can always remind everyone again.

Thanks and nice schematic.:You_Rock:

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Old school stuff still works fine! Thanks for the post.
One thing... the "R" post originally went to the ignition coil. It would by-pass the resistor wire to the coil and supply full battery voltage to the coil during cranking. Not normally used with HEI.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Our favorite competetor, "FURD" used this remote solenoid. I have one one my '56 'cause, even with a mini starter, I was still getting heat soak. Don't knock this setup until you run for an hour or so, shut off the engine, and five minutes later try to start. Headers sitting on top of the solenoid just don't work well in starting a hot engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts