El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to the site, had a difficult time login on. Of course I'm not the fastest with the keyboard and computer stuff.
I'm in SE Alabama (Daleville), and own a 74 Elky 454/400turbo. I'm sorta going to restore it, that is as parts become available I'll install em...
This is a great ride, but parts are a little difficult to find.

Currently have the Elky in my shop with the interior out, to include the dash.......does anyone have a decent dash for a 74 or know where one can be redone. I corresponded with Just Dashes, and they are a little more than I can afford right now. My car is posted on Garry's website (who is also a member on this site) http://www.scaldinghotelcamino.com/
He did a fantastic job on his 75 Elky, check it out if you haven't already.

I'm also planning on heading down to the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona this weekend (Thanksgiving), it should be FUN! I'll take plenty of pics and once I learn how to post em, I do that. Great Site :) Lee

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Lee,
Welcome to ECC/NECOA. I'm in Chattanooga. The NECOA Region-7 director, Bill Waxler, is also from Chattanooga.

There are a fair number of Georgia members. More than Tennessee and Alabama. Peter Brown, the ECC Forums Moderator is from Atlanta.

Have a great time at the Turkey Rod Run. Look up Peter O'Rourke in a red 1959 El Camino, he is the Florida Regional director. He may have his NECOA banner flying.

Good luck with your Elky.
Happy Thanksgiving!
-dan

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Dan, and you and your's have a Great Turkey Day as well! I'll say hey to Pete if he's there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome Lee,I'm in south central Georgia,just south of Perry.I know where Auburn is,are you anywhere around there?I have a '76 Elky 350
I've been slowly rebuilding the whole thing.I've been looking for a new dash with better gauges,but haven't found anything I like or can afford.
Goog Luck with your Elky,this is a great forum with great people.
8) Shane

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Shane thanx! I'm close to Dothan AL. Are you near Moultrie GA? I hear they have a killer swap meet there, and one is coming up in Feb 04.

I've got all the interior out along with the dash, and yes, I'm looking for a dash as well :lookround: along with some other parts. Would really like to pickup a decent parts vehicle. :)

It is a great forum!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lee,not really,I'm at exit 127 on I-75.I was thinking about cruising down there,but the wife reminded me how close to X-mas it is and I need to finish a friends Elky before then.
Moultrie is way south,almost Fla.Not too bad a ride except for the construction zones.
If you find a place for dashes and gauges,please let us know.You should check out the links for some very good parts stores.They have almost everything you might need and the discounts help.
8) Shane

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The holidays are gonna slow things down as far as buying for the elky, that's for sure! But, if something just happens along, well, lets say I might find the money for it. I just called on a 74 elky that is 4sale in Florida (600 dollars) and the lady said there was a guy on his way there to buy it, damn! Its about a 6 hr drive, but would have been worth the trip.
I'm always looking!

Happy Holidays! :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
New guy here.. Glad to hear there are a few people in Georgia! Anyone near Savannah? I'm actually in Ludowici if anyone has hear of it... Curious if there are any Elcamino related events in this area and when? Would be nice to have some sort of a regional show/get together etc...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/355879

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the site Tom, looks like you have a few toys eh!
Your ride looks great, as does the website.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Dang, I need to pay attention to my regional forum a "LITTLE" more. Hey guys, feel free to stop by any time...especially since it'll start to get warmer in a week or two!

Hope to organize something informal when spring rolls around...BBQ or the likes...

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Atlanta is fairly central to Region-7, perhaps we could do something there?
There is also a Spring Open Car Show in Chattanooga at the River Walk. We had six Elkys there last year. Four were NECOA members and the other two signed up at that time.
-dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
In Savannah...

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello. I have a '77 Camino in the very first stages of a, oh, 5 yr plan?? Gotta fix my leaking heater core - ugghh - the floorboard hole caused by my leaky heater core - just got carpet, weatherstripping, a few other odds and ends.

It's not really ready for a road trip yet, but if there's ever a gathering close to home, I'll be there...

Jim

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Jim, good to hear from you and welcome. Tom G. (Elcamino31316) is fairly close to you in Ludowici, give him my regards if you run into him.
All the best with your 77 :D

Lee "Caveman49"

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey Lee.....hope you guys dont mind a Region 6 member posting here! :eek:

But hey I live in Callahan, FL (just north of Jacksonville - host of Super Bowl 39)....at about 20 miles, I am so close to GA I could be an honorary member :p

I will check in from time to time and see if you guys are planning something in GA as far as Atlanta, or middle AL....I might join you! :cool:

I plan on taking my 72 to the Peach State Chevelle (& El Camino) Regional Show next May in Gainesville, GA. Maybe some of you can go too, and we can represent NECOA real good.

take it easy,
Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
:) Lee, Looks like you stirred up the pot a little! I was also wondering if I was the only el camino owner here in south alabama. I've put Moultrie on my calender for next February.
Yes this is a great site, I've been impressed by the number of members that are very knowledgeable in many aspects of elc repairs, modification, and restoration.
I'm located north you about 60 miles or so at Hatchechubbee, 30 miles north of Eufaula.
Would be more than glad to help at any time if I could.
I've owned a 64 elc, a 73 elc, and currently the second owner of 86 that is pretty well original. I love these vehicles even if my brother in law calls them "sissy trucks."

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe anytime we can get together from wherever is Great! I'm not sure on the history of our region breakouts, but I know we would be welcome anywhere in the country for the shows and swap meets.
Mike you must be right there on the GA. border, and I-95 has great access to a lot of the major hwys on the east coast.

I'm trying to talk this gal at work to let me haul her 79 Elky to Old Town in August, but it's to close to her heart, her deceased husband left two fine Elkys that she is not parting with, and I guess I can't blame her.
I plan on getting to the Gainsville show as well, but I'll have to see what the schedule is at that time.

Hey pops86camino I travel up that way when I go to NC to see my daughter, how far are you from Ft. Benning? The wife and I will be there in Moultrie next year as well, without the Elky, but enjoying everything about it. We'll have to linkup. We plan on going to the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona again in November, man last November's was Great!

Lee "Caveman49"

·
Registered
172 Posts
Caveman, I've been out of town the last couple days spending the weekend with my family down at Orange Beach.
I'm about 25 miles from Ft Benning via Victory Drive. I work at MeadWestvaco and see those big birds flying in and out everyday.
Be glad to have you stop by on one of those trips to NC. I have been doing some head work on my elc, hope to have it back on the road in acouple weeks.
Never been to the Turkey Rod run. My son goes to school in Daytona, may be a great time to kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Wayne, if you get the chance to go down to Daytona for the Run you won't be disappointed. Plus you can stay with your son and save on a hotel bill.
The next time I travel through your area I'll try to give you a shout.

Motor Safe!

Lee "Caveman49"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I'm a new member, new to the hobby and I just bought my first Elky about 6 months ago. Shes a beautiful 81 that I am in the process of customizing myself. I live in Lakeland Ga, about 10 miles from Valdosta, so if there is a gathering close, I would like to be involved!!

72ss454Florida,
Where is the show you were talking about coming up in May?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts