El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess mine started when I bought the truck but it was hidden somewhere back in the brain. It started about five years ago with the body and interior and I thought I was done till I went to a car show a mine didn't even come close to most but is really nice. Now I just bought a new motor and it's not even here yet and now I'm thinking sense the motor is out it would be a good time to up grade the suspension . I think I'm addicted and may need a support group before I go over the deep end. Is this normal or should someone slap me out of it. I don't have the first thing done and thinking of something else already. Is this why some people still have there projects all torn apart and never hit the road again? I wouldn't do it if I couldn't afford it but what's next I wake up tomorrow with the transmission on my mind.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Well if it was any other subject they'd say you have ADHD. But since it's cars and you're here talking to us it's completely normal!!:nanawrench::beer:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
To tell the truth, I don't think I've ever had an obsession with any of my cars or trucks (unless just being able to drive them anywhere I wanted at any time I wanted counts!). I like not having a back seat! The only other vehicle I had without a back seat was a 1963 split window Corvette, 327/340 horsepower and a 4-speed (probably the most useless car I ever owned because it nickeled and dimed me ALOT!). I liked driving my 1967 Camaro RS/SS convertible 350 (solid cam w/ headers)/CR Muncie 4-speed and 3:73 posi rear but, it had no room to haul anything! My 3/4 ton Super Cab could haul a load but was just to big for what I needed (and was an automatic:poke:). That said, I started buying El Camino's ( '64, 283 manual trans.,,'69 350 4-speed,, '78 automatic :dontknow:,, and my '80 manual trans.) because it best suited what I wanted in a vehicle!
When I get my '80 done, I might show it but, it'll be just for the fun of it!

Doug

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Robert, rest assured it is not a mental illness you are struggling with. You must come to grips with your true iinner self. Face it, you are a motorhead! Your car is an extension of yourself in some ways, no?

The 60's were my best hotrodding years. My first "muscle car" was a 65 GTO coupe 335/4 sp. Ibought a 67 GT350 new for $4250.00. Man, am I sorry I sold that one.
I think your ride looks very sharp. Good luck on your motor
.swap.

·
Registered
257 Posts
im in the same boat. I too just pulled my motor n also want to upgrade the suspension with the f-41 package n the jeep steering shaft all new poly bushings, grand prix bars. it is an addiction but unlike a drug there is no help for being a motor head just the next project. Is it just me or is the sound of a ratchit gear spinning a soothing sound:dontknow:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I enjoy working on my toys. It is therapy for the clutterd brain. It is great to be in my mancave trying to make love to my. 48 year old whip.. Today I carted 1370 lbs. Of broken concrete jn my car today. Took some photos. Will post themmlster.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I' not obsessed at all but I just was thinking I'm in no hurry to install the new motor I haven't bugged you guys enough with questions yet to move to another topic.:poke: I have decided for the motor it's going to be all new parts that are quality made so as I find out what the good stuff is I can shop around or wait for a sale to purchase. The suspension on mine needs to be replaced I'm sure and would be a good time to do with the motor and fender wells off. This may take a year my 305 runs great and if I don't get to excited about it I should do the tranny to. Why not do it right all at the same time and take all the specials on the parts I want instead of . I GOT TO HAVE IT NOW!!! One year sounds a long way away but it passes in a flash like everything else. I'm excited but who wouldn't be but I think I finally learned over the years it's not that important and it's not going anywhere.:beer:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I bought my GMPP ZZ4 roller crate motor in 2000 for $3100 from my local Chevy dealer. I think it was a good deal and a greta choice. I would like to see you consider the roller crate motors. Great power, all new parts with a warrantee. I habve mine reworked a little and run close to 400 horse, but cvery high torque figures. The great strong power range makes it super for the street.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought my GMPP ZZ4 roller crate motor in 2000 for $3100 from my local Chevy dealer. I think it was a good deal and a greta choice. I would like to see you consider the roller crate motors. Great power, all new parts with a warrantee. I habve mine reworked a little and run close to 400 horse, but cvery high torque figures. The great strong power range makes it super for the street.

I only use it for daily driving. Once I was going to Pomona from diamond bar I cant remember what street connected but I was at a light and punched my other truck and ended up in the cement drainage ditch. My truck was wedged in and had to get a crane to get it out. That was the last time I really punched it. I was 17 now 51. After the fourth crash and still in high school with no one hurt I became a model driver always looking out for the other guy.:beer:

·
0 Posts
Some girls like shoes,some guys like clothes. Me,I love cars! I fell in love with it when I saw a guy at my high school with 3 of them
After that day,I had to have one since it was the cross between a car and truck. This is my first real classic muscle car and I plan on keeping it until a Grand National pops up for trade. But until then,it's my baby and will always be my first wife since she doesn't talk back. Thanks Robert for the new A/C stuff. I hope to have it in sometime next month.:texas::beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
As far as the car obsession along time ago...
with the elcamino it started after i almost bought mimoriders
Elcamino but the deal fell through... thanks bro:poke: bit i wouldnt have it any other way..
so i rescued lumpy...:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
When I first joined a little over a year ago I started looking at other members projects and almost every one of them took two ,three or more years to finish. I was wondering why so long it must be the funds most people can find time when they really want something but this was the same story every time then I realized after seeing the finished project of every single one of them that I would be proud to be the owner of their truck. Money is always going to be a big factor but it doesn't do any good if you do a rush half ass job. I don't care where you look under, on top or inside your trucks they look cover page material to me. Now lets see if I can follow in the foot steps of some of the best.
Thanks
Robert

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I don't consider it an obsession. Mine seems to be more like a domino effect. Fix one thing, and realize something else needs work, or replacement, or something. I learned a long time ago, that if you have a vehicle you love, there's ALWAYS going to be something else to do to it. It will never be 100% done! That's what keeps it interesting!
:beer:

·
Registered
578 Posts
I was 15 when I bought my first car,71 Monte Carlo, Royal blue over Florescent Black,glowed purple at night.
LT-1 Corvette motor,Turbo 400 Transmission.
When the seller showed me a burnout,about 9 houses long down my street,I was hooked. :inlove:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This is what I wanted to see from this thread I just put the obsession in to catch your attention and get members talking about their projects. Looks like it's working so lets here all your stories.:You_Rock: Lets make this what have you done to your El Camino from the start. I sure need ideas and other members too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts