El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

933 Posts
going from the 79 to the 81 style grill is simple , when I did this the last time I changed the grill and headlight bezels at the same time , Its been a while but I seem to remember not all of the screw holes lining up 100% I think I had to leave one screw out . If you have the header panel that has the emblem hole , its easier to leave the emblem in but its not hard to fill the hole in with fiberglass if you decide against the header panel emblem .

· Registered
2,711 Posts
If you want to go to the 81 grille you will have to change out the complete header panel.

Header panels are the same for 78/79

80/81 are the same but as mentioned with the 80/81 style to switch grilles from one to the other you may have to modify grille/headlight bezel mounting holes.

82-87 use the same header panel.

· Registered
769 Posts
If you want to go to the 81 grille you will have to change out the complete header panel.

Header panels are the same for 78/79

80/81 are the same but as mentioned with the 80/81 style to switch grilles from one to the other you may have to modify grille/headlight bezel mounting holes.

I switched out an 80 grille for a 81 and only had to drill another hole or two to mount it. I never had to do anything to the bezels.

· Deputy National Director
10,531 Posts
How the heck do you take one out step by step for an 1985...PLEASE HELP ME IM 15 starting a restoration:dontknow:
get some pliers & you will see black tabs like these & just pull on the tab & they will come out & Just push it in to put them back on !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.