El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently acquired 1980 has had the engine replaced. I was told by the guy I bought it from that the owner previous to him had replaced with engine, transmission and rear end from a mid-80’s Camaro and that the motor is a 305. No paperwork or other details.

I would like to find out the exact year and model of the motor and transmission for the purpose of ordering parts and looking up specs. I do not see anything obvious on either. Can someone steer me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Hello,

Pictures of block and head casting numbers will help but these are generally hard to reach, rusty, dirty or blocked by other parts. A picture of the transmission oil pan will answer that question for type.

Camshaft specs will also be hidden. Note the spark plug type that is installed now. Does it have a GM HEI High Energy Ignition? I think many of those share common parts / ignition modules.

The carburetor might have a model number. If it is a 2-barrel Rochester and you post a picture, I can probably look it up in my Rochester book.

For the differential, I think you might be able to look that up by model number stamped on the axle tube. And once we know the transmission and its gears, we can take a drive and solve for the ring and pinion gear ratio using Internet calculators.

Rick

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rick. I will try to get some pics tomorrow afternoon. Where would I start to look for the casting numbers?

I do know the carb is aftermarket, Edelbrock 1403 1907. The manifold is also Edelbrock, unknown model.

I was also told it has an aftermarket “mild cam” and that the transmission is 3 speed with no overdrive (automatic).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crap. I will have to order some new gaskets before I pull the valve covers. Will be a few days. Thanks for letting me know where it is. I assume it’s on both sides so doesn’t matter which side cover I pull?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is all I’ve been able to find so far. It’s on the bottom front drivers side of the motor.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here’s a better view from underneath. Definitely “784752” on the plate with “305” cast into the block nearby. Also a pic of the tranny pan.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Gonna' need a better pic of the trans pan closer to it. The center of that picture is the oil pan.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it! 14010203 hmm, just says 80-84 2 bolt 305. Does that mean from 80-84 we’re the same with interchangeable parts?

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Is there another letter where it says GM 5 0L?

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
You can now google the 14010203 and the LG and find more info on the engine (1980-84 Camaro not hi performance).
Many 305 proved to be reliable.
The later ones (about 96-98) in the trucks and SUVs had newer head designs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have read all I can find about this motor but still have an important question. I know this motor came out of an early 80’s Camaro but the info I’ve seen is this same motor was used from 80-84.

so, what I’m trying to find out is, is this motor the same as what would have originally been in a 1980 El Camino with 305 option? If not, what are the differences?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts