El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
"is this motor the same as what would have originally been in a 1980 El Camino with 305 option?"

Cars and trucks of that year used the same 305. The high performance L69 305 that came out in 1982 had different blocks/heads and was only available in Camaros and Trans Ams.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yep, even when the Monte Carlo SS got a better 305 than the base Montes, Caminos were stuck with the base 305 even if they were SSs or Choo Choo SSs.
Patrick

·
Registered
2 Posts
My recently acquired 1980 has had the engine replaced. I was told by the guy I bought it from that the owner previous to him had replaced with engine, transmission and rear end from a mid-80’s Camaro and that the motor is a 305. No paperwork or other details.

I would like to find out the exact year and model of the motor and transmission for the purpose of ordering parts and looking up specs. I do not see anything obvious on either. Can someone steer me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
get underneath with a wirebrush, a shop towel, a wet rag, and smart phone. clean the forward facing part of the axle with wire brush until you see stamped characters. wire brush it to get dirt/rust off, then use wet rag to get rid of rest of dirt, dry with shop towel then take a picture with your smartphone camera.

as for casting marks, you may need some grease cutter to clean up to see the stamped characters and the cast-in characters.

probably the best overall reference for casting numbers is Mortec.com

21 - 27 of 27 Posts