El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 85 EC with the the factory choo choo scoop. However, the "points" of the hood (two corners closest to windshield) have been beaten down. It appears somebody before me stored the hood on its points and bent them down. I have attached a picture of an 87 hood with the points circled (the pictured hood is NOT the hood that I am writing about).

Does anyone have a closeup for points of the hood from above and below so that I have a template as to how it should look when completed?

Anyone have any suggestions for repairing these points?

My goal is to make the repair undetectable and permanent (without buying another hood)?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You would need to hammer and dolly the metal back as closely as possible to its original shape. Then sand off the paint, or at least sand it with 80 grit and use body filler to smooth out the area. Sand your filler with 80 grit and then 120, & 180. use a DA sander or orbital sander with 180 grit to remove sanding scratches in surrounding paint. Then skim the area with polyester putty. Sand the putty with 180-220 dry. Repeat the DA sanding with 220 and prime with 2 medium wet coats of a good high build 2K primer. Mist a little flat black over the primer for a guide coat. Wet sand the primer with 400 or 500 wet in a criss-cross, X pattern until there are no low spots. You'll see that when all the flat black is sanded off.
Sand your filler and putty in the X pattern also.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
You may also need something like an extra stiff putty knife to tap into the sharp cornors to push them back. Needle nose vice grip pliars may also help to straighten those hard to get in cornors. Also remember that a high spot left on metal can be worse than a low spot when it comes to filling & sanding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts