El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '81 267 has plenty of power for just driving around town but I think it lacks in it when your on the highway. Also, when you get on it a bit, it takes a second or two to really get going. What can I do to liven up the motor without totally rebuilding it and still keep its good mileage and every day drivability? I am planning to put true duals w/ dual cats and Flowmasters on it when I replace the exhaust. What else can I do?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Honestly, theres abolutely nothing you can do to a 267 to get power out of it. It's a boat anchor plain and simple! I tried it once, 4 bbl, headers, and 4.11 gears. It was still slower than dirt! The 267 is NOT worth dumping any money into performance wise. I know it's probably not what you want to hear but, it's the truth. Save your money and get at least a 305 with some decent heads. But, if you go that far, a 350 would be best. If you wanted to stay on the smaller end of SBC engines, find an old 327!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Yeah, I was doing to say Bore it out and get a 5 speed trans or a 4 speed automatic. the bore will give you more power and the trans will give you better passing on the highway (especialy if you have atleast 1 overdrive) and better launch. Sorry, didn't want to say that but they weren't built for power. Also anytime you add performance your mileage and some reliablity will decrease...It's practically a law.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Reprensenting for the 400 sbc right here so ima have to say go with a 400 lol but then again never had a 350 so ummm go with somethin besides that 267

Landon

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
JATO-----jet assisted take off ---a little rocket pod they stick on the side of airplanes-------just kidding, sorry..........Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I had a feeling that is what you guys would say. Oh well, since she's my daily driver for school I'm gonna have to leave the 267 in for a while. I'm not planning on selling the truck so i'll probably replace the motor sometime in the later future. I hope the duals will give me something but if a better soud is all I get i'll still be happy. Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You could install a good dual dual plain manifold (Weiand, Edelbrock, etc.)along with a good 600 cfm carb (Edelbrock, Holley, etc.). These modifications combined with your dual exhaust system WILL give you more power. You can pick up a good set for well under 3 bills on eBay or at a swap meet. Additionally, you can use them on your new 305/350/383 when you install it. Don't expect to pick off late model Z-28s & Mustang GTs (or even Hondas) with it though, but it would be a cool ride just the same. Life is not always about being the fastest, enjoy your ride and improve it as time & funds permit. Hey, I only have a mild 350 4 bbl/TH350 pushing my big 2 ton 4th generation Elky around! Who ever said big girls aren't fun to play with........never did!

Have fun

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not gonna do any huge performance mods right now because it runs great on straight 87. This is good cause 'round here anything above 92 octane costs over 2 bucks. Also, one of the reasons I love this car is thatyou can drive it every day, which is what i do with it. What I want to do it just make the car breath better. I know the power is there, I just wanna free some of it up. Also, I am planning to use either Flowmaster Super 40s or just the 40 series when I put the exhaust on but I was wondering if I should consider other mufflers. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
All kidding aside if you really want to keep your engine and still make your truck fun to drive go find yourself a good turbo 2004r overdrive tranny and stick a decent (3.42, 3.73) rear gear in it and you will be thrilled. the 2004r will fit in place of your current tranny the driveshaft won't have to be modified and the rear gears will get you moving while the overdrive in the tranny will keep your trucks gas milage up.......Its really the best thing you can do for the truck..............Dan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sure everyone would love to put a new Big Block into their el camino, it seems like its always the answere to put a new engine in and loose this other one! He said he dosnt want to change his engine and i dont understand why you guys come up with these answeres. Same with saying new Tranny,Rear-end, how much does that figure, ALOT!

Hes probley looking for something that will help out his truck, make it just a little better than it is. Im the same way, i try to post a topic on hear and all i get is put a bigger motor in, dosnt make sense.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My 267 doesn't have much power either, and i'm not really trying to get much out of it, lol. All I suggest is make sure everything's running as good as it can. The tranny swap/rear end deal is expensive, but I think it is the best way without swapping the engine. I'm looking into doing the swap one day, probably not soon though.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Unreal drunk------how do you make a car run better without spending any money on it?????? I'm dying to hear this answer because I've spent a lot on mine----The only thing I know how to do for free is sit in the car and make" booden booden" sounds...................Dan

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
The reality of a 267 is that it offers almost no performance possibilities. If I were you I would just keep it tuned and save my money for an engine swap.

·
Registered
365 Posts
thats true, i don't plan on spending a lot on mine at all. I would like to see what a supercharger/turbo one would do.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts