El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Possibly but then you'd have to re slieve it and buy that time you could have had a 350 in it with twice the power potential.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Why reslieve it? couldn't you just leave as is?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
depends how much your wanting to take off though. Any amount worth paying for would require a resleive if you want it to hold together.

·
Registered
365 Posts
could you just leave it at 267, keep the thicker walls to hold togehter, and just let the boost jam it in there, lol.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sure, But to get any decent power you'd have to boost it over 7-8 psi and then you got to rebuild the bottom and top end or it's a bomb waiting to happen.

Trust me I've seen many a motor with a blower or turbo tear apart a well built engine because they over boost or under build. A buddie of mine had a new LS2, yes LS2, that he built all over with forged every thing and cromeolly push rods. 200 miles later he romped on it and the turbo sent 12 psi of boost and put 2 cylindars into the pan.

P.S. After responding I saw the "lol"; Sorry. :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
oh yeah, don't worry, i am not planning on anything like this. I just think it would be cool to see someone do it, and since someone else would be doing it, price doesn't matter, lol.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
An internal combustion engine is not a balloon. Usuaually when a boosted engine fails it is caused by detonation and not because the cylinder walls were too thin.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
best mods you can get for your 267 is gettinga 350. sorry to say but thast ur best bet for power, and 350s tuned properly get decent gas milage. i drive over 60 miles in 3 days and i will onyl use about 5-6 gallons or so. but im never sure cause my fuel gauge is broken lol AND i got 2 bad piston rings that burn oil :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well, from what you guys say, soupin up a 267 is pretty much a lost cause. In the summer i'll probably just put duals with Hooker Super Comp. Turbos on it. Course that will prolly be just for sound and looks. I figure that since the car only has 36K on it, the 267's got plenty of life left in it. It starts right up and purrs nice so i think i'll leave it alone. I plan to drop a 350/4bbl crate motor in with headers and do a 4 speed conversion w/ 3.55 gears, but thats all for when I stop usin in for a daily driver. Course I don't see that happenin anytime soon. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get a small 4 bbl. carb if not already so equipped on a stock intake or Edelbrock Performer, a 390 or 450cfm is plenty. The old Edelbrock SP2P from the late 70's actually wasn't too bad on a small motor like this, it wasn't a bad idea but most people stuck them on 350's and and 400's in pickups and vans with 3.73 gears trying to salvage some MPG's and they didn't work. On a 262 or 267 in a Monza or other light vehicle with 2 something gears they worked pretty good. If you can find one you can usually pick them up for pocket change or even pocket lint. Even a stock intake with the factory Q-Jet would help. A mild cam like the Comp Cams 252H or 260H with 110 Deg Lobe Seperation would work nicely, the 267 and 305 can tolerate tighter LSA's than 350's without hurting idle quality or vacuum. A set of 1-1/2" primary tube Tri-Y headers with full 2" (nothing larger!) dual exhaust, you don't need sewer pipe exhaust on a motor this small. It won't be a race car by any means but should greatly help highway performance AND you should see an increase in mileage if you keep your foot out of it. The 200-4R and 3.42's is also a great idea if your budget can handle it. Shop around for a Monte SS or similar G-body somebody is parting out you might stumble into a deal on the trans and rear end. The 267 isn't as hopeless as some seem to believe and with such low miles I certainly wouldn't ditch yours, it has a lot of miles left in it. True it will never be "fast" but for daily driver useage it can be a LOT better than it is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
you can do what ive done with mine. throw the stock 2bbl on it, gives great low end power, and put a 3.75 rear end on it or even posi. with those i run in the mid to high 16's at the track and for a 267 with 280000 miles on it thats awesome. Well thats all my info about it other than that id say go to a junkyard and pull a 305 or 350 and rebuild it and throw it in.
--Chris--

·
Registered
898 Posts
When you do drop a 350 or bigger in your elky, if you still want to keep your 267 and have fun with it, drop it in a Vega or Monza. That little motor will seem like a monster with that light a car to pull around. Years ago I had a 74 Vega GT hatchback with a 307 with a Hooker kit, stock 4 speed and rear. It would really light up those little B70-13s and if you snatched 2nd gear at full throttle it would jump up like a serious muscle car. I had more than one Trans-Am back off of it. Just a thought for some fairly cheap fun.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You should be able to get some Flowtech 1.5" primary headers for around $100-125, some Thrush Turbo Mufflers for about $20 each, and then $150-$200 (maybe less) to have someone bend up some 2.25" exhaust (price here depends on area and the shop).
Get a K&N air filter. This will help the engine get a little more air into it.
You can probably get a high output coil for around $50. Add a new set of plugs (start with the hottest range you can get for street use) and a good set of plug wires ($40).

All this will probably pep it up a bit and also give it a smidge better mpg. Being you're young, I tried to keep the costs as low as I could.

HTH

·
Registered
98 Posts
Unreal_Drunk said:
Sure everyone would love to put a new Big Block into their el camino, it seems like its always the answere to put a new engine in and loose this other one! He said he dosnt want to change his engine and i dont understand why you guys come up with these answeres. Same with saying new Tranny,Rear-end, how much does that figure, ALOT!

Hes probley looking for something that will help out his truck, make it just a little better than it is. Im the same way, i try to post a topic on hear and all i get is put a bigger motor in, dosnt make sense.
I hear those "tornado" thingies make HP
I'm just sayin
allanova

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get a small 4 bbl. carb if not already so equipped on a stock intake or Edelbrock Performer, a 390 or 450cfm is plenty. The old Edelbrock SP2P from the late 70's actually wasn't too bad on a small motor like this, it wasn't a bad idea but most people stuck them on 350's and and 400's in pickups and vans with 3.73 gears trying to salvage some MPG's and they didn't work. On a 262 or 267 in a Monza or other light vehicle with 2 something gears they worked pretty good. If you can find one you can usually pick them up for pocket change or even pocket lint. Even a stock intake with the factory Q-Jet would help. A mild cam like the Comp Cams 252H or 260H with 110 Deg Lobe Seperation would work nicely, the 267 and 305 can tolerate tighter LSA's than 350's without hurting idle quality or vacuum. A set of 1-1/2" primary tube Tri-Y headers with full 2" (nothing larger!) dual exhaust, you don't need sewer pipe exhaust on a motor this small. It won't be a race car by any means but should greatly help highway performance AND you should see an increase in mileage if you keep your foot out of it. The 200-4R and 3.42's is also a great idea if your budget can handle it. Shop around for a Monte SS or similar G-body somebody is parting out you might stumble into a deal on the trans and rear end. The 267 isn't as hopeless as some seem to believe and with such low miles I certainly wouldn't ditch yours, it has a lot of miles left in it. True it will never be "fast" but for daily driver useage it can be a LOT better than it is.
Hi. So, I realize that this is a really old thread, but I thought I'd drop in. I just got an '81 El Camino in May. It was "supposed" to have a 350 (even the valve covers said so), but when my mechanic went over it, he told me it was a 267. Aside from some age and wear, it was a solid engine. I went digging around and found this thread.
Last week, I did just about exactly what is posted here, and so far, it's really been a good update.

Here's what I put in:
Edelbrock 2101 manifold
Holley 0-8007 390 cfm 4 bbl carburetor
Summit Racing K-1100 cam with new lifters
New distributor
Valve covers - lower profile

Mind you, I'm not a gearhead, but I understand how engines work, and I can do some of my own work. In my first tank of gas, I went from 10 mpg to 16 mpg, and I still have a bit more break-in driving to do. The ride and response is much better - it's now faster than grandma's wheel chair. The cam seems to be a little aggressive, so I have high idle rumble, but once I get going, this thing is a peppy little engine. So my thanks to everyone from this thread. It helped me out.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I would just tune it up, give it more initial, maybe around 18-20. Make sure it starts okay... Then save up for a 454/Th400/ 2.73-3.08.....

·
Registered
980 Posts
Not necessarily. During that period of time the manufacturers were doing everything they can to reduce weight and increase fuel mileage. That included new thin wall castings, smaller cubic inch engines and rear end ratios that would reduce engine speed on the highway.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What did you do with the factory intake and carb?
If you have them I’d like to see if you are keeping them ?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts