El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1979 El Camino and don't know where to start on putting a sound system in it or where to put in can any one give me any pointers

Sent from my LG-P509 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I was looking to do the same thing on my 87. After reading up on the other threads I have seen what the other guys have done. What were you looking to do? It looks like most everyone else replaces the in dash speakers with 3.5" speakers and put some larger mid level speakers behind the seats. You can do this by making bokes to mount them. You could also place a board in front of the smuggler's box to place your speakers and sub. If you have crank windows you can cut out a place in your door panel and put speakers in there as well. Subs and bazooka tubes go well in the smuggler's box as well. Also putting some sound deadening material in the back floor and smuggler's box can help reduce rattling. It's all about what you want.

·
932 Posts
On my 5th gen i placed the stereo in the normal location , amp was hidden behind the gloved box screwed to the heater box ,and mounted speakers against the lower window molding and the molding where the seat belt retracts just below the small quarter window .Mine wasn't a show car so I really wasn't concerned with a couple mounting screws in the moldings. but having decent speakers beside the seats sounds a lot better then most dash speakers . My 72 is set up the same way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm really just wanting it to look and sound good just got it two weeks ago and motor was blown so I had to put the 250 inline 6 in it. Now just trying to get the interior looking good and system sounding good...... what is a smuggler to never done a system I'm more of a mechanic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait smuggler box is that cubbyhole behind my seat stupid question do I cut a board to fit it and measure holes to fit or get every thing wired up first and what's a good system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure as to how the others have done the subs mounted on a board over the smugglers box. I know that there are pics in other posts though. Just look around for a little while and I'm sure that you can find some pictures of what you like. If you look up HKDUP87 he has a pretty unique system in his truck with pictures of it. And as far as a good system most guys prefer 8" or 10" subs the 12's are a bit overwhelming in such a small cab. But anything from kenwood or alpine is pretty good. I have an alpine deck, with infiniti speakers, and an 8" mtx sub and amp that I had in a regular cab truck previously that worked very well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is a link to another thread with some pics of mounted subs in front of the smugglers box. Otherwise you can just put a regular sub box inside of the smuggler's box. One like this

·
Registered
132 Posts
I went to walmart and purchased the pioneer 6x9's for like $50, and the boxes for them at best buy for like $40... I installed a pioneer deck in the old radio location, and ran new wires to the corner dash speakers, and new wires (tucking the wires under the paneling) to the 6x9's I just have setting in the smugglers box... If you want pics, I can post them for you... It's not a competition style setup, but i have tunes.. :poke:

Here is the box for the 6x9's
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fierce+Audio+-+6%22+x+9%22+Wedge+Speaker+Enclosure+(Pair)+-+Charcoal+Gray/8780072.p?id=1204924952842&skuId=8780072&st=6x9 box&cp=1&lp=1

Here is the speakers..
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-TS-974M-6-x-9-4-Way-Speaker/16889229

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-TSA878-3-1-2-2-Way-Speakers/17032567

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you plan on using a sub check Kicker. I found a very small 8 or 10 inch "amped" sub. You can build a frame in your smugglers box adding 6x9s and set the powered boxe in it or mount to that frame. small and simple. make sure you dynamat the box or use something similar to stop vibration.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Hi I have a 1979 El Camino and don't know where to start on putting a sound system in it or where to put in can any one give me any pointers

check this out in my pic's. a few guys have this setup I did and love it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the advice definitely helps me out when I finish ill post some pics and yeah love the straight six not much on power but has lot of torque. Nother question where could I get the speedometer set at for it and dash

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm really just wanting it to look and sound good just got it two weeks ago and motor was blown so I had to put the 250 inline 6 in it. Now just trying to get the interior looking good and system sounding good...... what is a smuggler to never done a system I'm more of a mechanic

Hey not to pirate your thread or anything but what motor mounts did you use for the 6 cylinder? I'm in the middle of the same swap in my 79. Also Most people seem to put a sub where the spare tire goes and then two mids either in the doors or behind the seats with 3.5 inch speakers in the dash.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,725 Posts
If you have crank windows you can cut out a place in your door panel and put speakers in there as well.
I have crank windows but, I plan to install power windows. Does this mean the speakers - I already have in the doors - will interfere with the PW mechanism?:???:

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Such a common thread.....what to do for a stereo system? How loud is loud enough? The cockpit is basically small, so even a standard 50w stereo with good speakers will pound your head!

I replaced my dash spearkers with Pioneer 3 1/2 " replacements, and did EXACTLY as HKDUP87 did in the rear behind the seats on the floor. Built two speaker frames with 2 x 4 wood and installed matching interior carpet over 6 X 9 speakers. I'll match my set up with anyone's El Camino based on high quality sound, and it was such an easy install.

I don't think you guys give enough credit to HKDUP87's idea. It a very, very clean install and sounds great when quality speakers are used, and the price? Under $225.00 complete with Pioneer dash unit, Pioneer front speakers, and Kenwood 3-way 6x9's. Best part is that it looks so darn factory that thieves will never know what is in the vehicle!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Cruise thru the audio forum,yes there is one.You'll get plenty of ideas.The only limits will be the thickness of your wallet and your imagination.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yeup, totally depends on your taste, quality, and budget. I'm running 4 10s 3 amps, mid range, mid bass, and 4 (maybe 6) tweeters. I forgot already. LOL.. but it sounds amazing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts