El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed I had these black marks on either side of my El Camino. I suppose I kicked up some tar that was paved on the road recently. What's the best way I can remove these marks? I tried using some Goof-Off (it's safe for car paint) but it was to no avail.:neutral2:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I have had good luck removing tar and road grime with WD-40 and soft cotton towels.Let it soak a while and rub gently.That should work as well as any product you can buy.WD is based on kerosene which is an ingredient in the road tar.Just rub gently!!

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I like R-M Pre-Kleano it's a wax remover/degreaser for paint prep. Costs about $40/gal so you might want to try the WD-40 first.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I would give a clay bar a try. I have never tried using it to remove tar, but it has removed everything else I have tried it on.

Get as much off with elbow grease as you can then hit it with the clay.

Copper

·
Registered
24 Posts
3M makes a great adhesive/automotive surface degreaser, comes in a red and white aerosol can. I've been using it for years, and it's 100% safe to use. Spray it on, let it soak for a few minutes, spray it again and rub it off with a cloth dampened by the spray. Works great!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've heard of using a diesel soaked rag to saturate, soften & wipe off the black crap. I have not tried this myself.

Good luck
~JM~

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just plain old turpentine/paint thinner is about as safe and thorough as you're going to get. Won't touch your paint.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Plus 2 on the WD-40. I've done it many times. Follow Lockjaws instructions.
Be very careful following Lockjaws advice.. :poke:use your best judgment. But the wd-40 does work..

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Jarhead, I think you should try using some WD-40 to remo:poke:ve the meadow muffin resi:poke:due from your boots and flip flops. I know it's hard to keep themfree of animal waste in thr Lone Star state

Reactions: fixitman1

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
X2 on the WD 40

I have had good luck removing tar and road grime with WD-40 and soft cotton towels.Let it soak a while and rub gently.That should work as well as any product you can buy.WD is based on kerosene which is an ingredient in the road tar.Just rub gently!!
WD 40 works Great ! will not do damage to the paint,i have used it on my Trucks,and on my Harley ! :beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i use gas it takes it right off and doesnt harm good paint,just soak a rag in it and wipe it right off then wash and wax the area

1 - 12 of 12 Posts