El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haha made you look but seriously. Ever since the first fast and the furious movie came out I've wondered if my style of shifting had a "fancy" name.

For example a shift from 1st to 2nd. When I get close to my shift point. I lightly pull back on the shifter and let off to maybe 1/4 throttle and let the shifter float out of gear like shifting a big truck but starting to press the clutch so the clutch pedal is about half pressed by the time the shifter makes it's way to 2nd gear. Basically I float it out of gear and clutch it into gear. It always seemed to have a little more finesse than simply clutching, shift, off clutch on gas.

It was always funny to watch people get mad after riding the strip around town in the bed and think I'm telling them it's a stick because I didn't want to let them drive. Then they look past the 5% tint and open the door lol IT REALLY IS A STICK SHIFT!

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Don't think there is a fancy name for it. Maybe, just call it a feeling? So I know that feeling. Honestly the clutch is only necessary for starting. I'm sure there are those that will argue with me on that but when you get down to it, that's it. I've ridden my Harley with a fried throw-out bearing and no clutch home over 40 miles. If you have to stop, just slip it into neutral............Starting in gear can be fun! LOL!

Joe

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Its also called, wearing the synchronizers out !! Good way to wear out a good tranny prematurely, but then its your tranny.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
With my ls & t-56 I never could clutchless shift it into another gear. Think I'd enjoy one of those $17000 sycronized trabsmissions to shift it like a bike.My 700 hp rated stage 3 monster clutch also takes a stronger push to disengage it.

Seriously, If you're learning to drive from a fast & furious movie, you're shifting too slow for a race, though more dramatic maybe. Ever notice a quarter mile race takes about a minute or 2?

But to each there own on how to shift. With a 400 hp LS & open exhaust , A light clutch slip at low speed with a little throttle turns grandma smooth into tire smoke & I frequently downshift like a trucker for braking & sound enjoyment.
Sticks are all fun unless stuck in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With my ls & t-56 I never could clutchless shift it into another gear. Think I'd enjoy one of those $17000 sycronized trabsmissions to shift it like a bike.My 700 hp rated stage 3 monster clutch also takes a stronger push to disengage it.

Seriously, If you're learning to drive from a fast & furious movie, you're shifting too slow for a race, though more dramatic maybe. Ever notice a quarter mile race takes about a minute or 2?

But to each there own on how to shift. With a 400 hp LS & open exhaust , A light clutch slip at low speed with a little throttle turns grandma smooth into tire smoke & I frequently downshift like a trucker for braking & sound enjoyment.
Sticks are all fun unless stuck in heavy traffic.
I shifted like a trucker (because I is one) until last month when my former company forced me into a 64mph automatic truck.

I'm 38 and started driving at 12yo by drifting a 76 Camaro around my grandparents farm. Slide it around the pond, hammer it on the straight, jump the Levee. Stop and let the dust and grass clear because it didn't have a floorboard. DO IT AGAIN!! So don't lecture me on learning to drive from Fast and Furious, I grew up with Dukes of Hazzard, Knight rider and Fall Guy for driving inspiration.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
I'm so confused.

We were supposed to watch Dukes of Hazzard for driving inspiration?
I thought we were supposed to see what Daisy was wearing and if Cooter ever fixed the doors so they would open on the General Lee.
Now Y'all don't go no where. Y'hear.

·
Registered
11,834 Posts
that's yall and ya hear.. don't be tryin to cornfuse us..
ur spale checkkerer mus b brokn..
I was lucky, I got learn to steer in a bran-new 65/6 Stang Fastback 289/4spd..
an learned a little about drivin in 67 Jeep truck 4x4, SBC 327 4spd
and a Bronco 289 3on-the-tree, on a Gumbo Mud trail at the deer camp..

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
My intro to a clutch and stick was by Massey Ferguson. Best part was I could side step the pedal at idle and not kill it.
Hold on though!!

Joe

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll let you know later next month, that's when my new TKO500 gets installed. It's 9 years since I last owned a manual tranny A T56 in my Caddy CTS V). It was also the last time I drove a Pete with a Fuller 15 speed. I learned driving sticks on my dad's 55 Chevy Belair wagon with three on the tree. My first car was a 51 Plymouth Cranbrook flathead 6 and 3 on the tree. What a hot rod.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I'm not lecturing anyone, just kidding here.
Did a few Dukes of hazards style jumps in a 77' factory v-8 chevy monza growing up, Till a ball joint broke a week afterwards & spun around a few times in traffic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts