El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The button on the floor to the left of the brake..... that is the choke right?

How do I use it and disengage it?

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Choke is on the carb, passenger side, round with at least 1 wire going to it. There should be a heat sensitive coil which controls the actual choke plate opening as the motor warms up. If it's working right, it operates automatically.

OR - if there is just a cable to a linkage on the passenger side of carb, then maybe you have a manual choke, if so, there should be a knob at the other end of cable inside your car.

take a look, make sure its electric, which would be my bet...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously?!
Wow I feel dumb! :yell:

Why would they put the dimmer on the FLOOR?

:let_it_all_out:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
That was before they started putting a lot of the controls on the wiper & blinker arm !!

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Seriously?!

Not trying to make you feel dumb, thats how we all learn. Gotta ask questions :nanawrench:

Tim

·
Registered
184 Posts
Personal thought of mine::: Used to be you had to "DRIVE" vehicles. Now it very possible to sit perfectly still, moving almost not at all. Suspect this leads to a lot of falling asleep at the wheel, or if not REALLY extended reaction times. Just my 2 cents. Also, the dimmer on the floor was a lot easier to fix if it went bad.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
FYI-The dimmer switch had been on the floor in most American cars & trucks from the 1930s,40s,50s,60s,70s until the 80s when they moved it to the turn signal.I grew up driving all these older cars,still not used to it being on the turn signal.I guess that makes me an oldtimer.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
My first car was a 1950 Studebaker. That was in 1957. It had the dimmer on the floor and the starter switch was under the gas pedal. The only controls I had were the overdrive cable, the choke cable, headlights, heater, and wipers. There was no radio. I topped it out on the Turnpike at 87 MPH in OD.

A year later I traded it in on a 1956 Chevy Bel Air convertible. Man, I'd like to have that car back! I paid $1050.00 for it.

Jack

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
Seriously?!

Why would they put the dimmer on the FLOOR?

:let_it_all_out:
...because it was easier back then than now.
:beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
" Older days, they even had a 'starter' button on the floor too "

John, that was new-fangled. Used to have to use a crankhandle going thru the grill to MANUALLY turn and start the engine. Tough on a kid!!!!

Jack, Yeah, I betcha still had that '56 'vert. Even in only REASONABLE shape, worth $20-70k. My '56 4-dr sedan BelAir is insured for $30k, agreed value.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts