El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
belt retractors.

I believe all you do is remove the two screws, pull the old ones and reverse the procedure.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
You need to make sure that end with the 2 prongs engages correctly in the retractor assembly. If you just slide that through the hole on the door jamb without properly engaging the end it won't activate the lock up feature on the belts and in case of an accident the belt won't hold you. The belt will just run out and you'll be stopped by the steering wheel or dash.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I believe all you do is remove the two screws, pull the old ones and reverse the procedure.
Yup, They activate/deactivate the seatbelt retractors but they're left and right side specific.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I really need the lever part on the door post? That's what's broken.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Do I really need the lever part on the door post? That's what's broken.
When you shut the door it moves that lever to lock the belt.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I thought they used a pendulum also to lock the belt when you brake quickly or turn sharp

·
Registered
196 Posts
The plastic lever controls the comfort lock feature of the seat belts. With the door shut, you can pull a little slack in the belt so its not pulling against your chest. When the door is opened, the comfort lock is released and either pulls against your chest or retracts into the retractor. The belts will work without it if the car decelerates or changes direction abruptly, it will just always be pulled tightly against your chest. (probably safer).

Jim

·
Registered
134 Posts
About how much are these new from a store? I need a set as well.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Jack, are you using the original setup of seats?? If not, you don't need them. Mine (driver's side) was broken, and I replaced it. No difference in belt retainability. Ya pull hard on the latch, and the chest belt stops moving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts