El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
And as long as the local cops are OK with it. Here they have meters that they use inside the glass to take readings. Hard to dispute the summons when it's documented at the scene.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Texas law just changed last September, and I think it has to either pass or not pass 30%. I can't remember which. But, if you buy tint, you'd better know, and you'd better hope the shop knows.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
:smileyb:My windows say, "DPS approved" with the shop name on it. That way when I bought the jelopy.:poke:

·
0 Posts
Mine is tinted. Here in Texas you can have 5% limo on the back and quarter windows but the front have to be 25% or lighter. It's gonna enhance your ride by preventing the sun from destroying the interior and keeping you cool in the summer.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,960 Posts
Got to have tint in Fl. :florida: Makes mine look good !!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes I think it looks better. I have had more comments after the tint job than before with nothing else done.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
tint's a must just don't get it too dark or mirrored . If you live where there are no street lights and it reflects inside you won't be able to see out. Go with what you see at a dealer it's legal and you will thank me and will be able to see anytime. To dark tint with rain good luck.:secret:
Robert

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
2011-08-07 19.53.52-1.jpg

2012-03-06 16.39.04-1.jpg I think tinting makes all the difference in the world. I will never have another vehicle without tint. If you use a front window shade, it is almost impossible to see inside the car. Therefore, your items inside are safer. But like has been mentioned before, know what your state allows.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Since you asked, here's my :twocents:
Good tint can make the 5th gen look really sharp, and especially on a custom or modified car it is really a necessity. However, a bad tint job can make the car look 10x worse. So, when you get your tint done, find a well-known shop in your area and pay extra for the long life tint that takes longer to turn purple.
I got my tint done 10 years ago with the long life stuff, and it's just starting to turn now. Also, this may not be the case anymore, but when I was shopping for tint way back when, not all shops would do 1 piece on the rear window because it's more difficult with the curve.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mine came with the tint and when i tracked down the receipt, (came fully documented and receipted) it was done in '90.

been garaged and still looks new. Dark as hell though. i beleive its 15 on the sides and lighter on the back window. but i cruise with my windows down in summer, so they never get used anyways. :dontknow:

but just like everyone else says, check with state law.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Since you asked, here's my :twocents:
Good tint can make the 5th gen look really sharp, and especially on a custom or modified car it is really a necessity. However, a bad tint job can make the car look 10x worse. So, when you get your tint done, find a well-known shop in your area and pay extra for the long life tint that takes longer to turn purple.
I got my tint done 10 years ago with the long life stuff, and it's just starting to turn now. Also, this may not be the case anymore, but when I was shopping for tint way back when, not all shops would do 1 piece on the rear window because it's more difficult with the curve.
I agree. I actually had my back window removed from the car so It would be a 1 piece tint job.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,960 Posts
the back window in my 87 is 1 piece & it's starting to bubble. Not bad for tint to last 20 years ! He did it in 1 piece with the help with a heat gun on low !! & took out the trim around back window !!

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
the back window in my 87 is 1 piece & it's starting to bubble. Not bad for tint to last 20 years ! He did it in 1 piece with the help with a heat gun on low !! & took out the trim around back window !!
Wow, that guy must be pretty good! It's very hard to get into the very tips of the rear window the way they curve to a point. I tint the windows on all my cars. My side windows are darker than the law permits on all my cars. I've been pulled over before without any issues. From my experience the cops will only get you for that if you are pulled over for something else 1st, and then you are a wise acre to the cop. At that point they will find anything not legal.

Here's a pic of my ride with limo rear window tint, and the side glass a few shades lighter but still illegal. I have no problems cause I don't disrespect cops. :beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Mine isn't very dark and I think it's just right and looks sharp.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Mine's almost 20 years old also, gilla brand from parts store.Getting some bubbles, peling drivers side front, scratches, but still not bad considering age. I did the strips on the back window, cuz back then I didn't know about heating & streatching the tint on the outside first before peeling & installing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts