El Camino Central Forum banner

How far will your Elky make it ?

• Cross country (Route 66 from Chicago to San Bernardino)

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • The Bandit run (Atlanta to Texarkana)

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Car show, cruise (Local car hop stop)

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Beer run ( Not the Bandit run )

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • From the garage to driveway ( as soon as I figure out what box the carbs in )

Votes: 1 3.2%
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Years ago I made several runs from n fla to sw Louisiana, logging approx 2000 miles including the driving around there in a few days, no issues. Last trip in 1999' included some way backroad high speed runs with a tachometer/math calculation of over 150 mph. That was with the old modified tpi350/5speed & fresh tires.
The LS1/double overdrive 6 speed is even more reliable & calm at speed, not reaching 2000 rpm in 6th till almost 90mph right now. Rotten bald rear tires & a little maintenance is all that holds it back from being able to drive anywhere.

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Years ago I made several runs from n fla to sw Louisiana, logging approx 2000 miles including the driving around there in a few days, no issues. Last trip in 1999' included some way backroad high speed runs with a tachometer/math calculation of over 150 mph. That was with the old modified tpi350/5speed & fresh tires.
The LS1/double overdrive 6 speed is even more reliable & calm at speed, not reaching 2000 rpm in 6th till almost 90mph right now. Rotten bald rear tires & a little maintenance is all that holds it back from being able to drive anywhere.
That is definitely a advantage to using a LS motor, reliability for sure and if you use a factory tune with an OB2 plug you could have GM diagnose any issue's. As much as I would love to go LS is just to darn expensive for me and most of us ! On the plus side I feel older 350 small blocks take outs are cheaper option these day. The manual conversion all and all is properly more reliable then a slush box and you usually can limp home with a manual if something breaks on the road !

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
279 Posts
I'm some where between beer run, and car hop cruise!
Having a 200 c trans, 3 speed with o.d.
(7-11 slushy)
highway driving isint too enjoyable. Although city driving is o.k. leaks a little from the gear selector shaft o-ring. But learned this is normal for the trans. 85k + 30 +yrs old, you can't complain much. The trans shifts early into 3 when totally warmed. Don't know enough about trans to know what that means,(I've had Other Chevy trans that did same) but I've considered add on trans cooler to help since it only does when thoroughly warmed. Other then that the car is dependable. Frequent drives of 10-30miles. Each drive is a little longer/further to build confidence and get to know the strength/weakness of the car. Mine is stock , so driving on the highway with 30 year old stock everything,( except tires/shocks) is overwhelming trying to keep up with everyone else. 3 speed doesn't help either. But I prefer the highway. It's healthy for the car to be driven high speeds,last gear,,under load ,for a period. A healthy ,low impact (workout). Just like us,lol. Being far from home is stressful as the cost for tow rises substantially. As does risk.(Yes I have AAA.) Personally I only let flatbeds tow me, as the hitch method is too damaging to vehicles,let alone a 30 yr old car. As soon as more things get updated,(A.C.,exhaust) my car will go from beer run/ car cruise ,to being able to take substantial trips. I look forward to it. And wish the same for everyone else too. It's a step-by-step process. Mine started in the garage. Many small things later it was in driveway. Then around the block,then town,then highways. Weather or not yours is running, or still stuck in garage, you will get there. Just do what I'm doing.....keep at it. Safe driving💨

·
Registered
688 Posts
That must be a beautiful trip down the pacific coast highway! A 300 mile trip is a great way to find any bugs and not be to far from home. I have said before my In-laws drove long haul for Dailey Express for over 20 years and loved being out west. Did you ever get your Pinto project done ?
Pinto is coming along slowly, dropped the engine/transmission in over Labor Day weekend, had to create a custom transmission crossmember because the Merkur T9 trans and original Pinto mount do not play nice together. I just purchased a new battery for the Caballero, and will use the older Caballero battery for the Pinto. I received both the new carpet and new headliner for the Pinto, and will be doing interior work soon. Last week I reinstalled the fuel tank, sending unit, and an electric fuel pump. I have oil in the engine and primed the oil pump, but still need to add oil to the transmission, install the carburetor, connect electrical to the fuel pump, then hopefully get it started soon. November 1 will be 40 years to the day that I bought the Pinto, I have set that date as a goal for having the engine started at least once before continuing on other parts of the car.
As far as my Seattle to Vancouver trip last January, it was a straight drive down Interstate 5 and back, not much in the way of beach scenery, but I still enjoyed it.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,529 Posts
What are you doing to your Pinto?

·
Registered
688 Posts
What are you doing to your Pinto?
It quit running back in 1996, so I just pushed it into the garage where it sat for 24 years before pulling it back out 4th of July weekend of 2020. It sat in the driveway for nearly a year before I finally pulled the engine/transmission out for a swap. My brother ran across a 2.3 liter turbo T-bird engine/trans and did a cursory check on it, then picked it up for me to drop into the Pinto. I began the swap by pulling the old engine/trans over this last Memorial Day weekend. Initially, I am setting this motor up as a N/A engine using the old intake/exhaust manifolds and a brand new carburetor. After running it that way for a while, and while I study on how to tune and maintenance a turbo/EFI engine, I will convert it back into it's original turbo/EFI form. At that point, it should be a really fun car.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It quit running back in 1996, so I just pushed it into the garage where it sat for 24 years before pulling it back out 4th of July weekend of 2020. It sat in the driveway for nearly a year before I finally pulled the engine/transmission out for a swap. My brother ran across a 2.3 liter turbo T-bird engine/trans and did a cursory check on it, then picked it up for me to drop into the Pinto. I began the swap by pulling the old engine/trans over this last Memorial Day weekend. Initially, I am setting this motor up as a N/A engine using the old intake/exhaust manifolds and a brand new carburetor. After running it that way for a while, and while I study on how to tune and maintenance a turbo/EFI engine, I will convert it back into it's original turbo/EFI form. At that point, it should be a really fun car.
You could always try running an adapted Holley Sniper EFI setup. I know they have models designed to be run with boost and quite a few owners have adapted them to be run on smaller engines. Even saw one on an MG on the owners group a few months back.

·
Registered
688 Posts
You could always try running an adapted Holley Sniper EFI setup. I know they have models designed to be run with boost and quite a few owners have adapted them to be run on smaller engines. Even saw one on an MG on the owners group a few months back.
That is a good idea for the old motor if I decide to rebuild it. When I eventually swap the turbo back to the newer engine, I will still have the old N/A manifolds for the older engine.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,374 Posts
Pinto is coming along slowly, dropped the engine/transmission in over Labor Day weekend, had to create a custom transmission crossmember because the Merkur T9 trans and original Pinto mount do not play nice together. I just purchased a new battery for the Caballero, and will use the older Caballero battery for the Pinto. I received both the new carpet and new headliner for the Pinto, and will be doing interior work soon. Last week I reinstalled the fuel tank, sending unit, and an electric fuel pump. I have oil in the engine and primed the oil pump, but still need to add oil to the transmission, install the carburetor, connect electrical to the fuel pump, then hopefully get it started soon. November 1 will be 40 years to the day that I bought the Pinto, I have set that date as a goal for having the engine started at least once before continuing on other parts of the car.
As far as my Seattle to Vancouver trip last January, it was a straight drive down Interstate 5 and back, not much in the way of beach scenery, but I still enjoyed it.
I don't think I've seen a Pinto in person in over 35 years. Had a teammate in high school with one, but some of the letters were loose and broken. Instead of "F O R D P I N T O" , he had "D O R F D I N T O" 🤣

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I saw a 68-69 firebird at a show in Florida that had the Pontiac letters on the trunk rearranged to spell anticop

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don't think I've seen a Pinto in person in over 35 years. Had a teammate in high school with one, but some of the letters were loose and broken. Instead of "F O R D P I N T O" , he had "D O R F D I N T O" 🤣
That's funny. Every time I see a Land Rover Discovery, I want to rearrange the letters to "verydisco".:ROFLMAO:

·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
That's funny. Every time I see a Land Rover Discovery, I want to rearrange the letters to "verydisco".:ROFLMAO:
A true but not very cool story, when I was 14 a friend of mine's father worked at our local Ford dealer. Well as it so happens the "Pinto" badge much like the rest of the car basically fell off in your hand. Well being the nerd I was I had a couple on my self in my room, one Pinto and one Mustang II which was a pretty cool badge ! My friend shows up at school one day with a bag of them ! I hope his dad never figured it out, although he was the parts manager so maybe he just kept reordering them thinking they fell off during transport ! LOL I have a bunch of stuff from when I was a kid but some how they didn't make the cut !

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,529 Posts
Back when Pinto's were still being produced, my brother in law bought a new one with fake woodgrain on the sides and with a 352 V-8. Sort of neat then.

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Cool project !

·
Registered
688 Posts
Back when Pinto's were still being produced, my brother in law bought a new one with fake woodgrain on the sides and with a 352 V-8. Sort of neat then.
I had a high school classmate in my auto shop class that put a 302 into his (72?) Pinto.
But, hey, this is supposed to be about how reliable and trustworthy our elkys are.

·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I had a high school classmate in my auto shop class that put a 302 into his (72?) Pinto.
But, hey, this is supposed to be about how reliable and trustworthy our elkys are.
All car stories are cool !

·
Registered
14 Posts
I routinely take mine across NC and SC, 3-4 hours a pop, sometimes fully loaded too. A sprint down to the coast or up to the mountains, either way 200ish miles in one direction. So far, only a couple minor incidents but I don't ever hesitate to jump in and drive wherever.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts