El Camino Central Forum banner

How far will your Elky make it ?

• Cross country (Route 66 from Chicago to San Bernardino)

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • The Bandit run (Atlanta to Texarkana)

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Car show, cruise (Local car hop stop)

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Beer run ( Not the Bandit run )

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • From the garage to driveway ( as soon as I figure out what box the carbs in )

Votes: 1 3.2%
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cleveland OH to Ronoake VA. 500 miles one way no problems. 87 Elko 305 4bbl 200R4. Check and change fluids including trans and rear end, New brakes, flush brake system, new frt wheel bearings and rear axel bearings, new shocks, new hoses and belts, flush radiator & new antifreeze, grease job and check u joints, new filters including gas filter in carb, new wiper blades, new headlights, tires. New battery, check fuses, and E-brake. Good to go anywhere, would drive her anywhere with confidence no matter how far.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,529 Posts
Late next spring I want to go from Wesley Chapel, Florida to Danville, Pennsylvania. I think it is about 1200 miles one way

·
Registered
1981 El Camino, 4-Speed w/ factory Hurst Shifter, 400ci small block
294 Posts
My Son lives in Chicago, I live in Richmond, Virginia. As long as I bring plenty of oil....like gallons, I have absolute faith the El Cabeato could make it back and forth for years to come. It's never once let me down in the year I've owned it. But the oil pan/main seal oil leak would get annoying driving 800 miles at a stretch!!!!
When I bought the old girl, it was in Pennsylvania, and it easily made it from Pennsylvania to Richmond, and that was with a 4.10 gear running 65mph. With my recently installed 2.41 it would be a breeze to run cross country. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Bitter sweet memories. I drove my 1979 El Camino from Lakehills, TX (West of San Antonio) to 4 Belton, TX NECOA events, one show in Hot Springs, AR in support of Veterans4Veterans and finally to Crozet, VA 1500 miles without incident. Those are the "sweet" memories. On September 23, my beloved "Mattie" found a new home. I can just no longer take care of him as he deserves. It's actually an "almost" bitter memory because I sold it to a local gentleman ( the first person to drive him) who gave me an open invitation to come and cruise when I wanted. I lost a "friend" but gained a friend. In fact, the most rewarding thing about owning this El Camino was all the new friends I made along the way. A great community of like-minded guys and gals that I will miss.
Clothing Wheel Jeans Tire Car

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,529 Posts
I notice that "Mattie" is referred to as "HE". Is one of those ladies standing by that beautiful El Camino gbrinehart?
I am sorry..........I just realized that the person in the black shirt is a man. He must be gbrinehart. Please forgive my ignorance.
At least I was right about the El Camino. It is beautiful.
:sick:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so remember the poll questions are just to start the conversation, even when they are lame like this one. What made me think of this one was a couple of things, I would like to get my Elky in good enough shape to take some road trips and what is good enough shape ! As a kid we travel a lot by car, truck camper, travel trailer and then after my parents retired they travel doing antique shows( I went some till I got married). For the most part they never had many problems on the road even knowing they never drove new cars. For the most part is was older Chevy's when I was a kid but remember that 60s cars with 60,000 miles where high mileage for the day. I bet my dad drove over a million miles in his life time, out and back to California from NY when we moved for couple of years in the early 60s, dozens on trips from NY to Florida, many trips up and down the east coast and I don't ever remember being stuck on the side of the road. Of course no super highways back in the day, I remember traveling with my dad a couple years before he died and I was driving on I-95 somewhere in the Carolina's and he would yell at me if I was going over 55 !
Ok so back to the question, so how good of shape does our 40 year car have to be in to run up and down the interstate at 70 or 80 mph? Of course it needs to stop and steer, well as well as a 40+ year old car can, wheel bearing are also very important to keep the wheels from flying off in to the woods. Then there is the engine, tranny, rear end oh yeah and wiring. The question is what could you fix on the side of the road, piston through the block is a no, bent push rod, maybe, slush box not moving in drive or any gear, better call a rollback. I have never seen anyone break a ring and pinon or axle just cruising up the highway.
I started watch roadkill back in the day because they would make on some road side repairs on some very questionable vehicles, today with all the production crews and unlimited budgets it takes some of the reality out of the show. Of course our age thing always enters the conversation any more, can us older folks lay out in a parking lot trying to put a tranny back in? Of course you could buy, rent or lease a new wonder box to cruise down Route 66 but is it the same ? Hope to read some great stories about the time you drove home with a ratchet strap holding you lower ball joint together ! (True story)
I bought my 71 El in Las Vegas and drove it back to Arizona I 2012. It had 82k original miles and had no problems. The farthest I traveled was in 1982 in a different 71 El. We went from Spokane WA to Everett WA, down to Pomona, CA, over to Tucson to see my brother. From there to Bossier City, LA to see wife’s aunt then up to New Jersey to ship the car to Turkey for our overseas tour. Car had over 60k on it, no problems.

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I bought my 71 El in Las Vegas and drove it back to Arizona I 2012. It had 82k original miles and had no problems. The farthest I traveled was in 1982 in a different 71 El. We went from Spokane WA to Everett WA, down to Pomona, CA, over to Tucson to see my brother. From there to Bossier City, LA to see wife’s aunt then up to New Jersey to ship the car to Turkey for our overseas tour. Car had over 60k on it, no problems.
I think you win for the longest trip so far !

·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Bitter sweet memories. I drove my 1979 El Camino from Lakehills, TX (West of San Antonio) to 4 Belton, TX NECOA events, one show in Hot Springs, AR in support of Veterans4Veterans and finally to Crozet, VA 1500 miles without incident. Those are the "sweet" memories. On September 23, my beloved "Mattie" found a new home. I can just no longer take care of him as he deserves. It's actually an "almost" bitter memory because I sold it to a local gentleman ( the first person to drive him) who gave me an open invitation to come and cruise when I wanted. I lost a "friend" but gained a friend. In fact, the most rewarding thing about owning this El Camino was all the new friends I made along the way. A great community of like-minded guys and gals that I will miss. View attachment 141574
That is one beautiful Elky, I see why you would miss Mattie !

·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
My Son lives in Chicago, I live in Richmond, Virginia. As long as I bring plenty of oil....like gallons, I have absolute faith the El Cabeato could make it back and forth for years to come. It's never once let me down in the year I've owned it. But the oil pan/main seal oil leak would get annoying driving 800 miles at a stretch!!!!
When I bought the old girl, it was in Pennsylvania, and it easily made it from Pennsylvania to Richmond, and that was with a 4.10 gear running 65mph. With my recently installed 2.41 it would be a breeze to run cross country. :)
On the plus side, the bottom of the Elky's is never going to rust ! LOL

·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Guess I could add the story of my 79" Elky, my first 5th gen. I have told the story here before about my first 5th gen so I won't go back through it's story. But it took me couple years after I got it to get it back in shape in around 88'. We lived in CT at that time and in 91' we bought our place here in Florida. The Elky was coming with me one way or another after all the work I had done. It also got put to work by pulling a uhaul trailer with all our worldly possession's for CT to FL ! I had just finish putting a new cam, lifters and timing chain in the 305 I had bought to swapped in from the tired V6 and changed the 3sp manual to a turbo 350. At the point I had never driven the Elky more then a few miles back and forth to work so it was a crap shoot if it would make it 1100 miles pulling a trailer! I did have a support team, my wife and kids in our mini van and my mom in hers mini van. My sons then 5 and 9 would take turns riding with me in the "Cool car" and even once my youngest rode behind the passenger since, it was a bucket seat and console car, at 34 he still remembers that ride ! The only problem I had was two flat rear tire (used tires) one the second day and the other about 2 hours out side Jacksonville when we were almost to Florida ! Sadly after a couple years in Florida between all the salt from the North and the humidity and rain in Florida it rusty behind repair ! I have kept the motor tranny in the frame for 30 years now for some odd reason, maybe because of that trip here for all it's hard work and mine !

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've only 300 miles on my Caballero, so far and that has been 15 miles or less at a time. Everything is new (with the exception of the inspected transmission and rear end) so I'm hopeful that we will drive it from San Diego to Ohio next year to participate in the Hot Rod Power Tour. Planning to drive it to Reno in August 2022 for Hot August Nights.
A series of shorter trips first and we'll see about the longer ones.
Joe - what part of Ohio? I'm in Dayton

·
Registered
1981 El Camino, 4-Speed w/ factory Hurst Shifter, 400ci small block
294 Posts
I had just finish putting a new cam, lifters and timing chain in the 305 I had bought to swapped in from the tired V6 and changed the 3sp manual to a turbo 350.
OMG!!!!
I hope you kept that trans and all the accompanying parts!!!!
Any 5th Gen with a factory manual transmission is one rare bird. And being able to prove what it is, makes is more rare than lips on an angry rooster.

·
Registered
688 Posts
OMG!!!!
I hope you kept that trans and all the accompanying parts!!!!
Any 5th Gen with a factory manual transmission is one rare bird. And being able to prove what it is, makes is more rare than lips on an angry rooster.
My '78 Caballero was a factory 200ci v6 w/3spd stick shift. The old engine is still on the engine stand in the carport, and the old 3spd is below along side of it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I notice that "Mattie" is referred to as "HE". Is one of those ladies standing by that beautiful El Camino gbrinehart?
I am sorry..........I just realized that the person in the black shirt is a man. He must be gbrinehart. Please forgive my ignorance.
At least I was right about the El Camino. It is beautiful.
:sick:
Yes, the person in the black shirt identifies as a man and is gbrinehart (Barry). Mattie, the 79 El Camino pictured, was named for Matt Bonner one of my favorite San Antonio Spurs (now retired). His teammates called him "Mattie" and he was known around the league as the Red Rocket. The photo was taken at Belton and the beautiful lady is Mrs Wilson (Victoria). Your ignorance is forgiven. :)

61 - 80 of 89 Posts