El Camino Central Forum banner

How far will your Elky make it ?

• Cross country (Route 66 from Chicago to San Bernardino)

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • The Bandit run (Atlanta to Texarkana)

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Car show, cruise (Local car hop stop)

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Beer run ( Not the Bandit run )

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • From the garage to driveway ( as soon as I figure out what box the carbs in )

Votes: 1 3.2%
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
OMG!!!!
I hope you kept that trans and all the accompanying parts!!!!
Any 5th Gen with a factory manual transmission is one rare bird. And being able to prove what it is, makes is more rare than lips on an angry rooster.
Nope sadly even to this day I regret not saving those parts ! When we moved I just didn't have a lot of room and with two kids there toys took priority over car parts ! The only thing remaining of the manual is the Z bar ball on the frame of the 79' ! :(

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,135 Posts
Matt , Thanks for another informative and fun to read forum . I have only had a few problematic out of town trips in my vehicles but enough to realize breaking down on the side of the road is a totally bummer . Fortunately between all the upgrades , AAA Road Service and 464elky , my 87 runs so good that I would not hesitate to drive it cross country . My longest trip in my first 83 Camino has been camping and back packing from Key West , Fl. to the Tetons and Yellowstone Parks at 5366 miles round trip . My first out of town breakdown was when I first bought a 59 Chevy and soon found that the radiator needed replacing from leaks . Attending college and living with my fun and crazy aunt , I wanted to go home for a weekend but could not stop the leaking radiator and was about to give up as no money to repair . She came out of the house with two very large cans of black pepper and told me to try it . I slowly poured them in and hit the road after the leaking stopped . The pepper held till I got 65 miles down US 1 to Key Largo . The engine began to heat up so I stopped and refilled with gallons of fresh water I was carrying . Within miles it started leaking again and out of pepper , I resorted to filling the radiator up with salt water . Luckily the salt water worked until I got home to Key West and was able to replace the radiator . I flushed the system out for days and the 59 Chevy was wonderful for years after .

·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Matt , Thanks for another informative and fun to read forum . I have only had a few problematic out of town trips in my vehicles but enough to realize breaking down on the side of the road is a totally bummer . Fortunately between all the upgrades , AAA Road Service and 464elky , my 87 runs so good that I would not hesitate to drive it cross country . My longest trip in my first 83 Camino has been camping and back packing from Key West , Fl. to the Tetons and Yellowstone Parks at 5366 miles round trip . My first out of town breakdown was when I first bought a 59 Chevy and soon found that the radiator needed replacing from leaks . Attending college and living with my fun and crazy aunt , I wanted to go home for a weekend but could not stop the leaking radiator and was about to give up as no money to repair . She came out of the house with two very large cans of black pepper and told me to try it . I slowly poured them in and hit the road after the leaking stopped . The pepper held till I got 65 miles down US 1 to Key Largo . The engine began to heat up so I stopped and refilled with gallons of fresh water I was carrying . Within miles it started leaking again and out of pepper , I resorted to filling the radiator up with salt water . Luckily the salt water worked until I got home to Key West and was able to replace the radiator . I flushed the system out for days and the 59 Chevy was wonderful for years after .
That's a great story and yes I remember to pepper trick. I have used Bars since I was a kid, my dad always had a jar in the garage! My most uncool break down was in your neck of the woods, the only time I has ever in the keys! I was ask to do an insulation job down in the keys when I lived in Sarasota back in the early 80s. We took our little Datsun 620 dually flat bed truck because it was the newest and cheapest on gas. It started running bad in Miami but not terrible. We got on the 7 mile bridge between Night's key and little Duck key and it would barely run. We made it up over the hump and it died ! Luckily the newer bridge has a nice wide emergency lane so we coasted down as long as possible. This was days before cellphones so we both stated pushing, not sure how far it is off from the hump but I bet it's at least a couple miles ! We were both pretty young but it was going pretty slow till we heard this semi truck horn behind us! He was pulling in behind us pointing to get in, we jumped in and he push us off the bridge! The rest of the story is long but after 2 long days it turned out to be a simple stuck choke ! Have not been back to the Keys since but would love to some day !

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Knew a guy in high school that over heated in the middle of nowhere.

No water for miles but he did have beer. Not wanting to waste good beer, he "recycled" until the rad was full.

·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Knew a guy in high school that over heated in the middle of nowhere.

No water for miles but he did have beer. Not wanting to waste good beer, he "recycled" until the rad was full.
Never had to use body fluid because dirty, nasty ditch water is almost always available here in Florida !

·
Registered
1966 Camino
6 Posts
I believe mine would make the route 66 run. Its all stock and runs like a top, the only problems I've had are failed condensers and fuel pump in the past. I used to use it as a truck to build some "side jobs" out of and pick up stuff at the local building supply stores, but I've retired it as a truck and now its just a toy for the weekends.

·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I believe mine would make the route 66 run. Its all stock and runs like a top, the only problems I've had are failed condensers and fuel pump in the past. I used to use it as a truck to build some "side jobs" out of and pick up stuff at the local building supply stores, but I've retired it as a truck and now its just a toy for the weekends.
Well I'm pretty sure most Elky's where bought with the intension of hauling just about anything ! Hence the totally destroyed beds ! My first 5th gen was a 79' that I bought in 88' and it was still full of old shingles and tar when I bought it, it was only 9 years old and it took me months trying to get the bed somewhat decent to paint ! Route 66, that's 2448 miles ! across the rivers, mountains and desert ! Big shoe's to fill ! LOL

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
5,135 Posts
That's a great story and yes I remember to pepper trick. I have used Bars since I was a kid, my dad always had a jar in the garage! My most uncool break down was in your neck of the woods, the only time I has ever in the keys! I was ask to do an insulation job down in the keys when I lived in Sarasota back in the early 80s. We took our little Datsun 620 dually flat bed truck because it was the newest and cheapest on gas. It started running bad in Miami but not terrible. We got on the 7 mile bridge between Night's key and little Duck key and it would barely run. We made it up over the hump and it died ! Luckily the newer bridge has a nice wide emergency lane so we coasted down as long as possible. This was days before cellphones so we both stated pushing, not sure how far it is off from the hump but I bet it's at least a couple miles ! We were both pretty young but it was going pretty slow till we heard this semi truck horn behind us! He was pulling in behind us pointing to get in, we jumped in and he push us off the bridge! The rest of the story is long but after 2 long days it turned out to be a simple stuck choke ! Have not been back to the Keys since but would love to some day !
The 7 Mile Bridge ( on US 1 ) , between Big Pine Key and Marathon would be one of the worst places you would want to have any car trouble on . The replacement bridge built years ago is so much better than the old one with the rotating draw bridge that was so narrow that trailering even an 18 ft. Hobie Cat catamaran was an adventure . The rebuilt 7 Mile Bridge has the high hump in the middle to allow unrestricted boat traffic below to traverse from the Atlantic to the Gulf Mexico . Some years ago a foreign tourist decided to stop on the top for a photo opportunity and was tragically killed by another vehicle . The view is beautiful with the colors and shallows .

Reactions: Kamino60

·
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
The 7 Mile Bridge ( on US 1 ) , between Big Pine Key and Marathon would be one of the worst places you would want to have any car trouble on . The replacement bridge built years ago is so much better than the old one with the rotating draw bridge that was so narrow that trailering even an 18 ft. Hobie Cat catamaran was an adventure . The rebuilt 7 Mile Bridge has the high hump in the middle to allow unrestricted boat traffic below to traverse from the Atlantic to the Gulf Mexico . Some years ago a foreign tourist decided to stop on the top for a photo opportunity and was tragically killed by another vehicle . The view is beautiful with the colors and shallows .
So the funniest part of my Key West adventure was on the way back after my co workers father in law who was our company mechanic drove the 7 hrs from Sarasota to Key West (since we had no money, no credit card so no one would even look at the truck) to fix it. I think we were just getting to Marathon Key and if your have not been to the Keys when the causeway ends and the "land" beings which is very narrow, more like a beach then a roadway strip of land ! So we where both very tired after our long three day adventure, so we are just quietly looking at the sites go by and then we both look to our left at the same time and there was survey crew working, so we slow down. At the exact same moment we do a double take and say "New Guy" !! One of the surveyor is holding the pole and he is neck deep in the Gulf of Mexico ! full clothed with his safe vest on ! New guy !! LMAO ! Him and I still laugh about this 40 years later !!

81 - 89 of 89 Posts