El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to swap my 350th to a 4 speed, I think that is 700 tranny? What does it require, is it a floor mount shifter?

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
No, the linkage will work just fine. You'll need to shorten the drive shaft and possible re-drill the bolt holes for the crossmember. You'll all so need t find a little metal piece that goes up against the speedo face that has the correct four gear shift pattern on it. You'll love the results of the swap.

·
932 Posts
Your 350 is the same length as a 200r4 , if you change to a 700 r4 you have to change your tranny mount or adapt it and shorten your driveshaft and change your shifter to a 4 speed shifter,it is easier to change to a 200r4 then a 700r4

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the case trans mount pad is in the same place as the 700 you only need to shorten the mount pad on the crossmember aprox. 1 in to avoid pan interferance and elongate the slot. 200r4 is more work on the crossmember to make it fit early frames if tou weld a 4 in piece of 1 1/2 in angle to the driverside of a 200r4 crossmember it sits perfectly in the early cars. jegs has a drop in double hump croosmember

·
Registered
802 Posts
Its a lotta work... Im in the process of doin a 200-4R swap which is similar.

Youll need:
To figure out how your gonna control the torque converter lock-up
Get a different/modify current tranny crossmember
Shorten driveshaft
Get a TV bracket
Get different speedo gears
Shorten your gear ratio

Well worth the end result I hear!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts