El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get an 01 Corvette complete driveline with frame with 60***miles how much work would it be to out a 5 gen body on it or would it be easier to just pull the engine. I kinda like the idea of transmissions in the back for better weight distribution

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it would be a ton of work but i would do it in a heartbeat if i had it.i would take all of the vette stuff and graft it to the elco frame.i have allof the tools and equiptment to do it though so its easy for me to say yes

·
932 Posts
It would definately be easier to just swap the engine but it would be an exciting conversion to do in my opinion . Guess the real question is how confident do you feel doing the conversion as it will require lots of work and a bit of fabrication to make it work. I remember reading that half the people that started putting a v8 in an s10 gave up and didn't complete the job and that is a pretty simple conversion,a job like this will take a substantial amount of work. I would do it but then again I am abit dillusional in my capabilities,lol.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
just basic hot rodding at its finest. i think it would be safer to make the corvette drive and suspension systems fit the elco frame as the frame is the backbone of the elco.i have done a late 70 vete to elco and this sommer i am doing a 90 s vette to a 78 elco for my buddy. its easier to make suspension/transaxle mounts than trying to support the body on a chassis not designed for it

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also found a donor elco for 400 so I think I may tackle it. I think I would be better off buying that instead of a super charger because the ls will have so much more potential. Thanks guys :You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Check with S&W, Alstons ect to see if they have a kit to fab the vette parts into a G body,, We put them in 55-57 chevy frames,, love it!! Matty man

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I agree the engine swap only would be easiest,as I have done one, The corvette stuff the coolest if you can .The biggest issue with the corvette transaxle is the torque tube setup. Not sure if you could physically backset the engine enough to compensate for shorter length. Hmmmm? Spectre's ls7 powered 3rd gen has 12' of setback for handling purposes.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Didn't Jay Leno put a complete Corvette drive train in an early Olds Toronado a while back? IIRC, the corvette had a special drive shaft and drive shaft tunnel That had to be dealt with (I might be mistaken though!).

Doug

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I get the donor elco for 400 I won't mind cutting the bed I'm kinda gettin interested I just gotta find a,lil more room to have two frames and one body laud out

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Tinsmith, Jay leno had gm factory help on that project & others. Don't think any of us have that kind of influence(BUDGET).
Yes, I know he had GM help (even used the GM proving grounds for shake down). The only point I was bringing up was the drive shaft and its tunnel. I seem to remember on the show they had a stuation in that area.

Doug

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toronado was a sub frame car front wheel drive with flat floor boards I had a 69 with a 455 but the flat floor with no tunnel would be a problem

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
This is what I've been trying to make a point of.

Sorry if I've confused everybody while trying to make my point.

Doug

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
there should be plenty of room,if anything i would think you would loose a little storage room in the cubby.if you do have to clearance the bed you put a tonou cover on it and nothing seen

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Is there room under the bed for a transaxle? It wouldn't look very good having a hump in the bed.

~JM~
I don't know why you would say that? The bed sounds like the best place to me...

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Don,t see any holes having to be cut in the bed for the c-5 rear, just the torque tube length issue.
C-5 wheelbase approx 105" , el camino wheelbase approx 117". Maybe 12" engine setback could be a feasable Idea. Maybe? You could also swap in the deeper late model dash to help disguise the interior of the setback amount.
Did a little google search on torque tube lengthening. The factory tube is aluminum metal matrix, which supposedly requires special welding. One shop replaced the entire length of external tube with std 6061 tubing. Only actual shop name that popped up is the drive shaft shop(Approx $1,000 or $1,300 with carbon fiber shafts.
Most vette irs swaps are still the c-4 versions, but the c-5 seems doable. I say go for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts