El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For ’79-87 El Camino, anyone have, or would someone please provide, a pic of where and how the springs are installed for the tailgate cable. Are the springs made differently for each side? My car doesn’t have cables installed. I have a bunch of tailgate cable parts but can’t figure out how to install spring, bolt, washer, etc. Have built cars from the ground up, but can’t figure this out – go figure. Serious brain cramp! Thanks.

·
Deputy Director Region 9 (MI-IN-KY)
293 Posts
PM me your e-mail address, and I'll pull mine out of the garage and take pictures:beer:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sorry for digging up this old post but search function for how to "install tailgate springs" , "install tailgate" brings me to only a couple threads that didn't have clear answers.

Hoping someone can guide me or provide pics for a 1969. I didn't remove them so I have no idea what they looked like before they were taken off.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For ’79-87 El Camino, anyone have, or would someone please provide, a pic of where and how the springs are installed for the tailgate cable. Are the springs made differently for each side? My car doesn’t have cables installed. I have a bunch of tailgate cable parts but can’t figure out how to install spring, bolt, washer, etc. Have built cars from the ground up, but can’t figure this out – go figure. Serious brain cramp! Thanks.
Now that you've all been shown how the spring goes on the cable, don't forget to insert a plastic or rubber Molly into the hole next to the bolt connector in the tailgate itself. When I acquired my car there was still remnant of the original insert in the hole of one spring. I used two plastic Molly's that work just fine, and they save the paint as they are supposed to..... Happy Trails

·
Registered
2 Posts
The spring loaded correctly will fold the cable so that it's compacted into the void on the sides of the tailgate keeping it out of the way of the closing procedure. That way it doesn't get pinched or worn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts