El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long has your project been going on?

I think that most "gear-heads" with a garage, myself included, have had a project car that took a bit longer than originally anticipated to complete. The vehicle just never seems to be finished.

Personally, I've had my sons 79 Malibu in the garage for almost three years and I'll bet it'll be another year before it's rolling under it's own power again. What started out as a simple 305 to 350 motor swap has turned into a major restoration project. Right now the doors and everything from the firewall forward has been removed. I've got what's left of the body four feet off of the frame. I've been rolling the frame out of the garage to sandblast any rust down to bare metal. It's a very slow and dirty process. I'm also sandblasting the underside of the body. I've got a set of new poly body mounts to install when the body goes back on the frame. The new fuel injected 355 engine and freshly rebuilt TH350 are sitting in a corner of the garage. The 3.73 MCSS posi rear end with new poly bushings and new control arms is installed along with the new stainless steel brake lines. The front end has all new control arms with poly bushings, new Moog steering components, new 1.5" drop spindles, new rotors and calipers, and a MCSS quick ratio steering box.

Some day, in the not so distant future, it'll be finished.

:mrgreen:

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
1978 Camaro, 4 years in October. But, I can say I'm finally making some serious progress of late. Broke the cam in last month, installed sub-frame connectors last weekend and need to get the exhaust done this weekend. I'm still surprise that someone hasn't call the police on me for putting around the neighborhood with open hedders. :p

Some other minor modifications: sb 355, KB hyperteutic pistons, 882 76cc heads gasket matched, Manley SS 2:02/1:6 valves, 3 angle valve job, guide plates under 7/16" screw in rocker studs, 1.6 Cat roller rockers, Comp Cam XE274H, Air Gap RPM performer intake, 750 Edlebrock carb, Neal race prepped TH350 with custom shift kit & 2,500 stall conv., PST front end, T/A 3:23 posi disk brake rear-end lowered 2" with Hotchkis springs all around...~425 hp @ the flywheel, ~390 hp @ the RW 8O

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm pretty sure that my 81 camino is going on about 5 years. I think that its funny that i've owned it for 5 or so years and have only driven it twice, once home from buying it and once again down the road and back before taking it apart. I'm finally starting to make some progress on it again. Life kind of put a hold on my project, in the time i've had my elky i meet my wife, got married and had a daughter. Finally things are getting back to where i can work on it again, just put the rear back in it couple nights ago and hopefully in the mext couple of weeks i'll get the motor and tranny back in. I still have a ton of work to do though, interior swap and front end swap (header panel and fenders) from my 83 paerts car, a new rear quarter and a little bit of floor pan reapair, and a little frame rust reapir by the rear bumper. So far i've gotten all new energy suspension bushings in, KYB shocks, underside pretty cleaned up and painted, and engine compartment cleaned up and painted. engine painted and some chrome, edlebrock manifold, demon carb and tranny painted. I also removed my heater/ac box made a block off plate to cover the hole and made a I guess you'd call it a cowl panel the area that was on top of theheater box blelow the wipers thats not there when you take the heater box out. So far thats it, hopefully i'll at least get it under its own power pretty soon so i can least hear it run.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
My 80 SS has been "In-Work" for three years and then some. Each time I think that it is moving forward something comes up and work stops. I sandblasted the frame on it two years ago and then it sat and I had to re do the job because it had sit all winter. I have all the stuff. Engine (383) Transmission 700R4, new cross member, all new suspension completely as a matter of fact the only things that are old are the metal parts, body, doors, frame etc.. and not all of that. All new conversion from Lauren Engineering, I got that two years ago. New wiring harness, one plus years ago.

Right now I have only painting to complete then I can finish re-assembly. I have yet to get the Core Support, Transmission, Cross Member, Gas Tank painted, it should already be Ultra Violet Pearl Met. but it is not. Prepped and waiting in the paint booth but no color. I've been waiting for time for a month or so. Then I dry fit everything on the body drill holes and make sure of the mount points for the conversion parts then disassemble and shoot that with the final paint and put it back together.

It is frustrating vying for time and not getting it. Paint has been purchased for two years. Most of the body work is completed but I can't finish until I can get a surface to look at. So I am in limbo.

350 Block, notched for the stroker crank and 5.7" rods and KB pistons 10.3:1, Comp Cams XE268, Proform Extruded Aluminum Roller Rockers 1.6:1, AFR 195C Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock RPM AirGap Intake, Edlebrock 750 CFM Performer Carburetor, DynoMax Cerma-coated Long Headers, Fluid Damper - Street Damper Balancer, Aluminum Water Pump, Holley Hi Volume Fuel Pump, Edlebrock Tall Aluminum Valve Covers, Double Roller Chain and Gears, Meldon Hi Volume Oil Pump, Windage screen. SFI Approved Flywheel. Stainless Steel Bowtie Bolt sets, Russell Braded Hoses and aeroquip hose ends. New alarm, seats, carpet, bed rug and Lid. Dual electric Puller fans, new radiator, Chrome Hi Torque Mini Starter, March Pulleys, Chrome extra deep Transmission Pan for the 700R4, Locar Throttle cable, Dipsticks, and TV Cable. New Autometer gages, Reworked dash.

I haven't gotten the stereo just yet. I need about three weeks where I can get paint booth time when I need it and I'll be only two to three months away from cranking it up and driving it. It takes a long time and way, way longer than I had expected. :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've had my Elky for almost 5 years now. The first two months I had it, it sat with no engine or trans. After I got it drivable, I drove it for 2 summers. The last 2 years (till this past June) it's been gone through from suspension rebuild, to interior swap, to body and paint. Now that I thought I was "done", I'm finding more things that need attention. My 350 is starting to smoke, I have one annoying body mount clunk, and I'm seriously considering a 4 or 5 speed swap 8) . I guess it's one of those projects that'll never be done as long as I'm still driving it. Thats where all the fun is though...right? :cool: :D

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Well, I bought mine new in May of 82. Soooo 21 years and 3 months as of now that the project has been going on. 8O

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Too long...longer then I expected...long enough...longer then I wanted to wait...as long as time permits...as long as my wallets full...as long as my wallets empty...longer then my wife expected...longer then my wife accepts...my kids longing to drive it...oh boy, how much longer can I go on? :lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bought mine in Sept. of 1979. Been driving and wrenching on for almost 24 yrs. Had alot of fun and shed a few tears along the way but wouldn't change it for anything. Trivia question- How many bales of hay can a el camino haul? (Wish I had a scanner)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just about 3 weeks shy of 1 year. I've been driving it for about a month now, but only because I got it to where I can drive it, not to where I'm restoring it. Next up is to line the bed, maybe to stop leaks(?), motor work to limit oil intake, and Betty Page stickers to make it go faster!!! :cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
We have been busy restoring my 83 elky for a little over a year. i did a body off resto painted the frame and floor black, the gas tank front end parts f 41 sway bars and all the brake and fuel lines silver and rebuilt a 350 4 bolt with a stage two cam double roller chain and edelbrock dome polished 600 cfm carb bowtie valve covers with dynomax ceramic headers and dynomax dual exaust exiting below bumper with 17 inch tork thrust wheels and i hope to have it all done and back on the road by the end August. all i have left to do is to get it painted and put her back together.

P

·
0 Posts
Saddly mines been going since 1994! But 4 years wasted on one body mans BS telling me I'm next! :oops: :evil:

Some Day
It will be done.... :?

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Ahhh! The joy of owning a daily driver!! I got my '83 in February of 2002 after I had my shoulder repaired. This car is not -- and never will be -- a fully restored showpiece, but I have fun every day driving it around. I can't raise the hood at the local cruise nights, because the engine compartment is still really crummy looking, but I do get out to meet people with it. The longest task that took it off the road was replacing the dash board after work at nights. That took the better part of 7 to 10 days. Everything else that is currently planned will be scheduled for 3 or 4 days off the road each time. I don't think I have the patience that the rest of you have shown. Keep those wrenches turning!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bought my '66 El C in 1991 for $600.00, it's my daily driver so the resto is ongoing. I've been adding to it as I can, stripping the 7 coats of paint off it, removing excess bondo and glassing the repairs, replaced one panel that went bad. Along the way I removed the Saginaw (vega) tranny that someone shoved in it after the 3 speed and installed a muncie M-21 behind the 283. I know most of the owners of the car as they were all in the U.S. Coast Guard at one time. The 283 is mildly built but I did add extra's to make it look good under the hood, real braided lines (not the junk), chrome, wires, looms, intake, headers, Edelbrock 4 barrel, and a host of others. Can't seem to find enough time. I'm a maintenance man for a hotel and subject to call backs after work.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Slightly over two years & counting. I'm not interested in building a trailer queen just a fun to drive, machine. After I get new doors new paint new carpet new dash new seats,, Hey, wait a minute, it's starting to sound like a trailer queen. Oh well....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I started my PROJECT(or projects) sometime around 1968.It seems "The PROJECT" has never stopped,just switched cars.(and trucks too) The first one was a 1964 Dart w/ 273/235 4 spd.My Dad bought it in boxes and said when it was assembled and passed State Inspection it was mine.I have progressed through many cars and trucks,but have never really finished the "PROJECT",more like chapters in a book.Rather than short stories.Some I wish I still had( all the Elky's)and some I'm glad to see go.I hope to be still finishing my "PROJECT" when I'm called home.
8) Shane

1 - 17 of 17 Posts