El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching the web for even a rough guess at how many 1959 El Caminos are still out there of the original 22,000 that were made.

Anyone have any inkling of an idea? Just curious...

Thanks,

LeX

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I know that there are 3-4 of them actually running around San Antonio

I have seen another black one, a red & white one, and a blue/primer versions running around here

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are a few every year that turn up on my local craigslist.

I'd love to pick one up eventually. Definetly a classy ride.

·
Registered
451 Posts
There are two in a wrecking yard about three miles from our place, looked them over a couple of weeks ago. They have been used for parts but not beyond putting them back on the road given enough time and money.

Mike

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
That's going to be nearly impossible to determine! :yell: Even if you could get access to the entire US DMV database state by state there's still plenty more that are no longer in the databases. Ones that are tucked away in garages and barns that have not seen the light of day for decades.

On a similar note I always get a kick out of Craiglist ads in Alaska... Quite often you'll see someone advertise something as "the only one in Alaska" and you're like... "uhh, how do they know?" You guys in the states probably don't see that as much, but we're kinda isolated, so every other guy with an old car seems to think his is the only one, just because he hasn't seen another one driving around. :poke:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have seen a couple here in NC that will come up for sale from time to time that need restored but not one on the the road.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't know about the '59, but there is a '60 sitting right down the down the road a few blocks away. It's in a state of disrepair beyond my ability to put straight right now, but maybe someday...

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had to guess, based on what I hear people from different regions telling me, I would probably peg it at about 4,000. Does this sound remotely possible?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
That would be about 20% of the total built for the 59 model year.

I'm guessin', a lot less than that

·
Master Wrench
1,592 Posts
not enough, thats for sure. i see a couple at car shows sometimes but def one of a kind and becoming harder to find

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have one in my shop that is soon to be started on. I also saw one for sale at the Grand Rod Run in Pigeon Forge Tn. a few weeks back.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm. Well, would be interesting if I could link to the DOT and see how many are registered.... Just sayin'. lol

·
Super Moderator
2,142 Posts
Gentlemen,

I know this post is a few months old but, this is a question that I have been researching for over 4 years. I have owned 59 El Camino, and even a 60 at one time over the years. A few years back I started wondering the same question. I had been showing my ride expecting that eventually I would see others with these models.

I know that these were used as trucks and thus many were not cared for. I also know that many were discarded because the floor were produced so thin that they rusted out. On the possitive side, these trucks were primarily sold in California, Arizona, and Texas. All dry states for the most part. The 59 and 60 models have also been the ugly step child for some time and thus not saved over the years.

In addition to how many have survived, I have also asked myself a few more questions. Where were they built? How many came from which factories? What options were offered and how rare are things like a padded dash, AC, or even a 348? In 4 years I have collected a lot of data and I am starting to get a grip on the facts. I have only collected a little over 1% of the total production around 300 vehicles. Most of the trucks were made in Los Angeles and Saint Louis. If you have a truck from and of the other plants, I would appreciate any information you are willing to add to my research. I have also established that only about 60% were built with a V8. While it is harder to determine which V8 the truck came with, there are some hidden ways that suggest if it was a big block or a small block. The accessory codes are my next area of discovery. This is still a work in progress for most of the factories because not all factories shared teh same codes. Los Angeles had their own set of accessory codes. I have them fairly well deciphered. The other factory codes are still a little merky but I am collecting information on a weekly basis.

I am interested in sharing this data with any 59 owner and I welcome any reciprication. I am doing this for the betterment of the hobby and I am not selling any of it. I do not however want someone to scope up my hard work for their profit.

If anyone is interested in finding about their project, the truth about it's origns let me know.

Cheers to the grand-daddy of all El Caminos.:beer:
Beer fan with a sports habit

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 2+ that can be added to the list. One is being built, one is parts, plus a front clip from a 3rd one (Impala). Thinking about turning the parts car into a trailer to pull behind the resto...

Right now I have a pretty decent set of inner and outer fenders if anyone needs them and a grille that needs a little work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can usually find a "few" 59 and 60's at the Back to the 50's show in St. Paul, MN. Around WI, many were eaten up by the good old road salt.

·
Super Moderator
2,142 Posts
Dr59,

I am glad that you rekindled this message board. It propted me to post a poll. Look for a poll on this site call polling first generation owners-members. It will allow you to post whether you own a 1959 or 1960 El Camino. My hope was to get everyone to answer the poll and we could get a running total of how many are out there. I did not tale into consideration the number of people that might have more than one and you can only enter once. Still it should put a functional number to the question that everyone is asking. Please take the poll and pass the request along to anyone that you talk to.

Thanks,

John

·
932 Posts
I am using 2 to make one ,a third one was stripped and sent to the junkyard by the guy I got the 59s from . There is a black 59 for sale in the fraser valley for $20 g ,a very nice orange 59 was for sale in Seattle in the last 6 months another red and white 59 was for sale in the vancouver are in the last 6 months as well , a rebuildable 59 sold in Calgary within the last year . Like every other 59 owner I watch for 59s constantly .

Some lucky guy got a shop full of 59 parts last year for cheap in Washington State last year when guy won a lottery and unloaded all his parts for a very cheap fee on craigslist

1 - 20 of 71 Posts