El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I look around on here often but dont post much. I dont see many posts that have anything to do with early models.
But lots of cool newer models

·
Registered
313 Posts
@Iceberg Probably because of the rarity...around 36,500 built 59 & 60.
Folks used and abused them throughout the years. Not many survived. They were trucks, utilitarian vehicles...a tool if you will.

You're fortunate to be the caretaker of the first Elkys!

I'm sure a lot of info (mechanical, electrical, suspension, body work, brakes etc) apply to the early Elkys as well

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
About 6 weeks before the 60th Anniversary Celebration, someone ( Ken I think) posted about the lack of First Generation advance entries. When the day came there were 12 or 14 First Generations that showed up. Every one was outstanding. They are out there. There are several photo albums in the 60th forum that will have photos. If you post your bretheren will show.

·
Super Moderator
2,139 Posts
Iceburgh, There are quite a few 59 and 60s still around. Are you building a 59? Or, what is it that you wish to discover about them? I have owned several over the years and I have owned the one in the photo since 1986. If you have a question let me know. I have probably had the same issue at some point.

·
Registered
313 Posts
@pitts64 Thxs for posting. The top pic is my favorite. It has a cool period vibe and nice stance.
I'm assuming its lowered like the rest. The swamp cooler is cool!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I LOVE the first gen el caminos. I own a 60, and have for about 10 years but have not had the funds or opportunity to begin working on it. It needs an extensive amount of rust repair. The wife hints towards selling it often, but I can't give it up. Nothing beats the lines of those cars. I plan to start working on it late this year or early next. Right now I'm focused on getting a few things fixed on my 70. That was a daily driver for me for a few years.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Anthony
Here is one that lives out by you. Edward's '59 awarded Best of Show at Wrightwood Mountain Car Show a couple years ago.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I
Anthony
Here is one that lives out by you. Edward's '59 awarded Best of Show at Wrightwood Mountain Car Show a couple years ago.
View attachment 129062
I used to work at the Chevy Dealership out here about 10 years ago. That looks a lot like the car that belonged to the Painter that worked at the same dealership. Such a clean car. It was powered by a 348 if I remember correctly.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,530 Posts
@pitts64 Thxs for posting. The top pic is my favorite. It has a cool period vibe and nice stance.
I'm assuming its lowered like the rest. The swamp cooler is cool!
What is a swamp cooler ? Some fine looking 59`s . Wish I could afford one but the prices have gone nuts . I think the 59 dashboard is one of the most beautiful ones ever made in a production vehicle . I have two 59 dashboards sitting on a shelf so it is the first thing you see when you walk into my garage . Sitting next to them is a cool 59 model that 464elky gave me recently . I am curious as to what gas mileage the 348 gets ?

·
Super Moderator
2,139 Posts
Len, I can answer that one. in city 10.5MPG on. the highway 10.5MPG. Flogging it all day long 10.5MPG. I have tried everything I can think of to squeeze out a little better MPG with zero success. I guess you just have to look at the bright side, it draws a crowd every time I pull in for gas. :)

PS. when he said swamp cooler he was referring to the window AC unit. It was an early means to cool down the cab on hot days. Never owned one but, I think it used ice and air flow.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
HAMB has a lot on the 59-60 el Camino, enjoy...

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
He is not on the forums that I know of.

However, I can show you some more.
It has a bench seat.
They have an agreement.
His lady rides in the center seat, sitting next to him as they go to car shows.
If buckets get installed, well then she sells the car.
Seems to work really well. She is a nice lady. Good to have her next to him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts