·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mines in too many!!!:dontknow:

But I think I found the problem!!

But finding that part may not be easy!!
Now for the questions?
First, while pulling the column out, the shaft was trying to come out of the seperate link before the steering gear box, (yes I had removed the bolt holding the 2 together & man was it a battle to seperate the 2!!!) should it have?
Next both the dimmer switch and the starter rod have bends in them, are they factory?

And last, (and just as important) a few parts sort of just fell out so I don't have a clue where they came from!!!!
Anyone have a break down of THIS column, 1980 with factory floor shift and push down lever for key release?
I need it to end up looking like this or close!!!

Oh yea, I'd like it to work!!:poke:
Thanks
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
donny the part you need Is called a ignition rack you can get it at napa auto parts bought 20 bucks
putting it in however is difficult as you found out,,, good luck i just went through this last weekend
NO FUN

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I was gonna tell ya how to do it, but then you said it had to work when done, so I better shut up!

:dontknow:

·
Registered
532 Posts
these pics are from an 82(the closest alldata would get to an 80) should be the same,columns didn't change again for several more years the first one is for a four speed manual , the second is for an auto or three speed manual column. i believe the part you are looking at is number two in the first pic the switch actuator.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Google this

Jim Shea’s Steering Papers

jimshea.corvettefaq.com

agram
You're in Automotive Parts.

refine your results

Price Range
$ to
Diagrams Steering
All About Diagrams Steering Diagrams Steering in One Site!
www.peeplo.com/Diagrams+Steering

Diagrams Steering - Manuals, Help & Support -100% Free
Diagrams Steering
www.produtools.com/

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I used to do a lot of these back in the 80's. GM was one of the easiest to steal. Had them every week in the shop as stolen/recoveries. We used a little bit of white grease to hold the rack and pawl together for re-assembly. Otherwise, the parts just keep falling apart as you try to get it all back together.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
I used to do a lot of these back in the 80's. GM was one of the easiest to steal. Had them every week in the shop as stolen/recoveries. We used a little bit of white grease to hold the rack and pawl together for re-assembly. Otherwise, the parts just keep falling apart as you try to get it all back together.

When they stole my blazer all they did was punch a hole in the column pop out the plastic gear and gone but when I got it back it had more gas then before.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
..this is the only drawing I have of the steering colume....:nanawrench:

...Ahhwww Darn,It looks like the little brat scatter those parts again..:poke:
:beer:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ta DONE!!!!
It took the better part of a day, ( I did sell my old motor in the middle of doing this!!!:nanawrench:)
Everything works, ignition, dimmer, flasher and key release!!!!
Clean up is next but everything inside is greased and lubricated

all connecting rods and switches in place and work as they should.

Now the funny part, I have to go back and borrow the steering wheel tool to get the c-clip back on!!!

I'd rather slap a lion with pork chop gloves on than do this again!!!
But for less than $20.00, DONE DEAL
DONNY!!!!!

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hey ddd what ya mean tool,, ya just push down with one hand and slip the snap ring on with the other,,,,,simple:poke: looks good bro :You_Rock::beer::secret:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
i hear ya,, i broke down and broke out the wallet... oh well we all learn one time or another , glad ya got er done:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Wonder what they would charge to fix that. Looks like in the range of $200.00:secret:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
my guy here in the big state of texas charges $100.00 thats parts, labor, and sevice call,
i got the family discount,,,,,:beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
..Man,what a job,Congrats Donny,you did it..:nanawrench::You_Rock:
:beer::beer:

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Dumb Deal Donny, what are you doing up past your bed time????
Don't make me come and slap the tranny out of you!!!:poke:
Give the man a badge and what does he do........
Your so old you fart dust!!!:nanawrench:
Donny

1 - 20 of 20 Posts