El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
22,246 1959 El Camino's rolled off the assembly line. How many are around today....January 2013...54 years later? Lets get some best estimates/ best guess....of running and salvageable 1st gens. I know more than one person told me they had used two or three parts caminos to build theirs....does this mean one out of three survived? Thats around 7,500 surviving 59 El Camino's. Even if only half survived and are still around and drivable....thats 11,000 59 El Camino's on the road. That low number still makes it pretty rare and special. What do ya'll think? Whats a good figure or estimate on a surviving number for the first gen 1959 EL Camino? Yeah, I own a project 59 and its already special to me...I just want to know how many may be out there.....I believe I have a rare jewel and just want some confirmation.
Thanks, any estimate over 25,000 will be ignored as...well...we are edumacated here and our math skills were developed using 1/2 in, 3/4 in and 5/8ths in. tools.....:)
Mark
P.S. My guess for surviving 59 El Camino's...around 9,000...slightly less than half produced.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
59's are as rare as hen's teeth. I have no data, but I believe it is fewer than 9000. Many have been crushed and some are languishing in fields and backyards with trees growing through the floorpans. IMHO, they are just spectacular looking rides. :dontknow:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased my 59 in 1990. shortly after there was a site offering numbers of how many were left of a vehicle. they claimed they used current registration numbers and junk yard records. I purchased the service and was given a number of approx. 1,743 left. After looking at el camino pages and ebay listings I feel that number was considerably low.

·
Super Moderator
2,142 Posts
This is a question that I have been actively researching for over ten years. I have personally seen 10 trucks that have gone to the crusher. I have physically documented over 640 that are restored, or restoreable, and another ten or so that are nothing but tags. Even this though is a a small portion when you consider the many that are stash away in collection. It seems more are coming out of the barn every year. If I would have to guess I would say maybe a third are gone for ever and perhaps another third are still out there but to far gone to restore. That would still leave about 7,500 on the road. That number might be conservative but, the research goes on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts