El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the dipstick is wrong on my 350. Gonna change the oil and find out. Question is, how much oil to put in if I'm NOT changing the filter? (Local place is out of the filter I need and I'm not going to wait).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Evening Ryan. Others will probally post in, but my opinion (for what it's worth) is NEVER EVER change the oil and leave a dirty oil filter on it.
A proper oil filter is doing exactly as the name implies, it is filtering the oil that is flowing through your engine.
It would be better to wait a day or so and find an AutoZone or some other place that carries K&N oil filters. Probally need number HP-3002, but check with the parts guy.

As far as capacity, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but 5 qts. with a new filter, 4 qts if you don't change the filter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK OK OK ... I got plenty of other cars to drive but I reeeeaaaallly wanted to drive my elky but you're right... will wait & get an oil filter. I knew you were gonna say that when I was asking my question.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That real nice red Elky will thank you. I was not "brow beating" you in any way. It was just my opinion.

Now for some shameless self promotion....
Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want to be included in the New England "mailing list". We will be communicating over the winter, possibly lining up some car shows to attend as a club for the spring.

·
Registered
314 Posts
get a pickup oil filter. I can get a huge john deere filter for a 350 pickup that fits perfect, and it will hold more oil.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I am really perplexed here. 8O Let me see if I understand you correctly. You mean to tell me that the local parts store doesn't carry oil filters for the most massed produced V8 engine in the history of mankind? :lookround: Where in Gods name is this parts store, outer Mongolia? Any spin on smallblock Chevy oil filter will fit that thang. Even K-Mart has them. Some have a slightly larger capacity than others, but that is not a big deal. What is a big deal is that you don't change the oil without changing the filter. Let me guess :roll: a kid waited on you at the parts counter...just recently quit his job at Micky Ds' and is now working in the auto industry as a professional! The kid probably doesn't even know what an El Camino is let alone capable of spelling it :lol: Run do not walk to another parts store and never enter that one again or shame on you! While your there pick up 5 quarts of 10W 30 and an oil filter for any Chevy 5.0 or 5.7 litre V8. OMG the horror, the horror! :cry:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
According to what I've read and now live by, Wicks is about the best filter on the market today. Next in line would be the Mobile 1 filter. However if you change the filter each time you change the oil then it probably doesn't make a huge difference.

Not changing the filter when you change the oil is kind of like taking a shower with your cloths on, isn't it?

Just my $0.02 worth FWIW.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will pickup a filter today... I drained the old oil last night, the old filter is still in place. I got 5.5 quarts OUT of it without removing the filter. I KNEW that something was wrong because it said it was too full. But the dipstick and it's tube was chrome and in the wrong place so I figured someone changed it and it was registering wrong. I bought the car 2 weeks ago and drove it home from massachusets to maine (300 miles) then prob put about 50 miles on it since then. All that time it's been leaking oil pretty good and burning oil. It's no wonder, it was chocked right full. When I bought it must have been AT LEAST 2 quarts too full if not more. I'll get a filter today, change it, and put some new oil in and see how things go.

·
Banned
881 Posts
If you don't change the filter you're leaving about a quart of old oil in the engine. Nothing earth shaking will happen to your engine. But, since you've got your new Elky up in the air you might as well change the filter too.

When I change the filter I always use the larger truck filter. I also fill the new filter up with new oil before putting it on. Then I'll dump four quarts into the valve cover.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
314 Posts
you should probably make a mark on your dip stick, or get an original one so you know you have the correct amount of oil in

·
Registered
100 Posts
Im not much of a gearhead but when I go to autozone or a part store I always look for a guy that looks like he has been around an engine or two... But as far as the micky D at the autozone a good way to test him is ask him to super size it and if it makes sense to him. then you do as was was previously instructed..."Run do not walk to another parts store and never enter that one again" :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Im not much of a gearhead but when I go to autozone or a part store I always look for a guy that looks like he has been around an engine or two... But as far as the micky D at the autozone a good way to test him is ask him to super size it and if it makes sense to him. then you do as was was previously instructed..."Run do not walk to another parts store and never enter that one again" :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts