El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
813 Posts
Maco has been advertising a half price special for $275.Anyone know what you get for that? I guess they make money on the prep work.Some Community Colleges offer courses in auto repair. It might work out if you can find one to sign up and do your prep work along with advice, or just talk to Maco and and see wht you can work out. That's assuming Maco is everwhere.
Not much George ......no chrome comes off, bumpers stay on. jambs would be extra ect.... plus like you said with the prep work

·
Registered
478 Posts
To do it right where it will look like you want, and to last more than 6 months, and with the work mentioned, 3-$4500 would be ball park figure. Look for an independent painy guy, local shows, friends may be a start as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Not a show car

I bought the El Camino because I miss the Car Club activities I enjoyed when I had my 1961 Chevy bubble top and my 1959 Impala afterwards. I said I wasn't getting back into the car hobby but decided I wanted and a El Camino was the cheapest road back to the fun I use to have. It is to be used for tours and cruise nights with no intention of showing or even getting anyone to take a 2nd look at it.

I got burned on an eBay car I purchased sight unseen. The seller was a liar. But anyway it looks fairly good but up close you can see the rust bubbles starting in the quarters and the doors. A couple of the inner quarters have rusted a good bit. The old El Camino is a 454 SS, red with black stripes, comfortable but not pretty but fair condition custom interior and came with a new cooling system complete, new exhaust system complete, new springs, new shocks, new front end rebuild, new master cylinder and booster. The 454 motor and the transmisson were claimed to be a recent rebuild and I believe they are. It has Dokota guages that work well. The bed is very rough having hauled who knows what but has a touneo cover. It will get spray in bed liner. The engine compartment will never be seen except by someone with a strong stomach. The underside will only be seen by a jaywalker if the brakes fail.

So the old gal is a decent runner and driver but she looks tired with the early signs of rust and the dents 40 years bring in the body and trim.

Before you tell me it is not a real SS remember I don't really care. It has the engine, the 12 bolt rear end and the emblems -- that is good enough for me.

I am not going to do the job myself. I am getting too old to get down on my hands and knees to work on a car. It will be done in a shop or not at all. I might strip the trim but no sanding or body work.

I just want to stop the rust before it gets to be a problem and have it look good from 20 foot away. I want the paint job to last another 10 to 15 years. By then I will get the 454 transplanted to my wheelchair.

If I want to show off my car I will drive my SSR instead of the El Camino.

Thanks for all the help and info.

Texas Charles
Grand Prairie, Texas:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Charles, I really liked what you had to say, and I agree with MOST of it. My '56 has chips in the paint, a stone mark in the windshield, and a cracked driver's side door window. I show the car, knowing I won't win a darn thing, at the annual Classic Chevy Club shows. I "donate" the money to help the individual clubs out. This year is the club I belong to sponsoring the Lone Star XXX event in San Marcos. Of course I "donated" the registration fee to help the club. Now, to Elkies. I will do the same thing for NECOA. I could care less iffin' I win a darn thing. It helps the club. That's what I want to see progress into something even bigger than it is now, and function as a "Lookie here what we got" type club so that others can enjoy the looks of the wild beasts. I get comments on the '56, and I get comments on the '87, and that's a 31-year difference. Oh, AFWIW, the value of the '56 is twice the value of the '87, and I'm really so proud to own the '87!!!!!:inlove:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Charles, I really liked what you had to say, and I agree with MOST of it. My '56 has chips in the paint, a stone mark in the windshield, and a cracked driver's side door window. I show the car, knowing I won't win a darn thing, at the annual Classic Chevy Club shows. I "donate" the money to help the individual clubs out. This year is the club I belong to sponsoring the Lone Star XXX event in San Marcos. Of course I "donated" the registration fee to help the club. Now, to Elkies. I will do the same thing for NECOA. I could care less iffin' I win a darn thing. It helps the club. That's what I want to see progress into something even bigger than it is now, and function as a "Lookie here what we got" type club so that others can enjoy the looks of the wild beasts. I get comments on the '56, and I get comments on the '87, and that's a 31-year difference. Oh, AFWIW, the value of the '56 is twice the value of the '87, and I'm really so proud to own the '87!!!!!:inlove:
2nd worst car in show looks like a Barrett-Jackson high seller compared to mine. :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Andy, are you proud of that beast??? Iffin' ya are, flaunt it!!!!!:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
I paid 5k five years ago. Try to find a high school or college with a body shop class and they may do it for a project and charge you cost. The instructor guides the class and watches the progress close. Theres a couple of post on this somewhere and the jobs looked really nice. I'm ready to do mine and the guy next to my shop has been supplying all the paint to the movie studios down here for thirty years and when i find out what paint i need he will get it at cost for me. The problem i have is i no nothing about paint. I'm going to paint it the same color Black Cherry Candy with a clear coat finish. IF ANYBODY COULD TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF PAINT AND CLEAR COAT, I COULD REALLY USE THE INFO. I WANT AN TOP QUALITY PAINT NO SKIMPING.:nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::beer:
Thanks
Robert

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
It is what it is. I want the best for my baby. If it wasn't for a freak freeze up in the mountains. I woke up and it was still dark out and i was driving up the road and before i hit the top the truck started spinning my wheel. So i waited for light and when i hit the main road they graveled it. I never wanted to cry more than hearing the rocks hitting my paint but i had no choice. Black marker works good on my color. I hope my buddy can buy it at a discount through his connections. If he can i will post it before i buy it and maybe i can piggyback some other paint for a couple of members.:beer:
Thanks for the info
Robert

·
Registered
230 Posts
mine 8000 grand with some mods also functioning cowl induction hood. its been a long 8 month but finally things are coming together. a good show quality job takes time.up dated pics coming soon. P.S. i paid for hood :nanawrench:

·
Registered
236 Posts
You get what you pay for unless you have a relationship with the painter. I was close to being able to get my baby painted a local dealership but it fell through. Went to Maaco type establishment and now my head hangs low.:dontknow: should have waited and learn to prep myself

21 - 40 of 52 Posts