El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I got a quote at Macco's for $2,100 for mine. Minor rust and body work needed. I wouldn't spend more than that unless you plan to win car shows. Today vehicles get dinged in the driveway so it makes more sense just to protect the finish/prevent rust overall. That's the cost for a daily driver paint job with no frills and will look nice in pictures too.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I got a quote at Macco's for $2,100 for mine. Minor rust and body work needed. I wouldn't spend more than that unless you plan to win car shows. Today vehicles get dinged in the driveway so it makes more sense just to protect the finish/prevent rust overall. That's the cost for a daily driver paint job with no frills and will look nice in pictures too.
I see you're in McKinney, if you're willing to go a bit higher I can hook you up with the best painter in Texas and you'll be surprised! His shop is in Mansfield and that is where I will be painting mine when I get to it! He's a one man shop and the overhead is low so the prices are way better than the mainstream shops. He did a MC SS about a year ago, came out pretty nice! He did the decals too.

Joe

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I’d be very thankful for the information. I worked in Mansfield a few years back. We should meet for brunch sometime and head over there for a meet and greet/estimate. Let me know.

Bobby T.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I’d be very thankful for the information. I worked in Mansfield a few years back. We should meet for brunch sometime and head over there for a meet and greet/estimate. Let me know.

Bobby T.
Brunch would be good, but this virus thing is making life weird! I'll send a msg.

Joe

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I like the flat or satin finishes.. They don't show blemishes..

Look on HAMB for some brush paint jobs, you will see some amazing work done in peoples back yards..

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Maco has been advertising a half price special for $275.Anyone know what you get for that? I guess they make money on the prep work.Some Community Colleges offer courses in auto repair. It might work out if you can find one to sign up and do your prep work along with advice, or just talk to Maco and and see wht you can work out. That's assuming Maco is everwhere.
My first "customized" car was a 1977 Monte Carlo, had the $299.00 ambassador paint job done near Orlando FL back in 1989. It was good enough for a driver, you get a few runs, but it was a DRIVER and I loved it. I did ALL the body work on that one.

My Hell Camino is probably around 15-18K in paint alone, this is 30 years later and it's a driver. It's all a matter of perspective. Sky is the limit really.

If you have the time, it really can't hurt to try it yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK guys Thunder 1 needs a paint job. It is a 1971 El Camino SS - red with black stripes. It needs the usual patch panels on the quarters and some dings hammered out. I want a driver quality paint job. In other words looks great to some standing beside the road as I drive by.

How much do you think this would cost? With door jams, trunk & hood jams. Without the jams painted. Wiped off with a fairly clean rag before shooting the paint on it.

Thanks
Texas Charles
:texas:
I know it's sacrilege to many, but living in tornado alley I just couldn't put thousands into a paint job that I knew would catch a hail storm sooner or later. I painted my 81 with Raptor liner. It's very forgiving of body work and clean up is a breeze. Hose it off and walk away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know it's sacrilege to many, but living in tornado alley I just couldn't put thousands into a paint job that I knew would catch a hail storm sooner or later. I painted my 81 with Raptor liner. It's very forgiving of body work and clean up is a breeze. Hose it off and walk away.
Forgot to mention. It cost about six hundred dollars including tint colors and filler and sand paper.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts