El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would I go about adding a blower to my engine?

....I know, you experienced folk are prolly thinkin'..."This dude doesn't know CRAP about his car and he wants to put a blower on it?!"

I just like how they look and figured I'd ask. :nanawrench:

Probably outta my price range....but dang it sure would look cool :poke:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
You can spend as much a lot. Most critical is the get advice on gettng the correct setup so you can get the best performance and reliability. It is possible that your motor is not a good candidate for boosting unless you are willing to modify your motor's ignition,fuel cdelivery,cooling and possibly clmpression isdues.
I am no expert but have built several turbo motors. Designers use puters to design snd map your system whether turbo or supercharger.Size really matters. Beware of bargsin blowers. They almost always require service or parts. They are cool when you light 'em up.:beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Expect to start at about 6500$$$ and go up from there not for the faint at heart:beer:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
$0.00... just drain all the oil out and drive around for a bit. :poke:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

....I know, you experienced folk are prolly thinkin'..."This dude doesn't know CRAP about his car and he wants to put a blower on it?!"

Are you just adding it for looks? If so, I wouldn't think you'd have to build the motor an it wouldn't cost much... maybe $1000 - $2000. If you are going for big HP numbers then it will get costly. $6K - $15K depending on what you get done, plus you will have to factor in a built tranny, a stronger rear end, possibly upgrade the drive shaft, better suspension to handle the torque, good tires out back to get traction, and possibly have some extra support welded into the frame to prevent twisting.

Long story short, if it is just for looks, have at it. I learned my lesson about a full on custom build... never again. Cheaper and much less of a wait just to buy someone else's modified car and make minor tweaks to your liking.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
this question reminds me of the 30th anniversary edition of Car Craft magazine. In it they had a section about "dumb questions and smart aleck answers from the last 30 years". One of them was.....

"How do I tell when my engine is blown?"

"When it fits loosely in a 5 gallon bucket!"

:beer:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha! Thanks for the answers guys.....seems it is a bit out of the price range of what I am willing to drop. :neutral:

·
Registered
555 Posts

Depending on the combo, $5-$15K.

·
0 Posts
I brought one last summer for 2200+tax but I had buyers remorse and returned it. You're gonna have to get the serpentine pulley for the crank,but most sets include it. Also,the blower likes an engine that's around 8:1-9:5 compression. Too much compression will only allow you to run under 13lbs of boost.:beer:
Oh yea,Weiland sells the 144 which will be best for you.:secret:
There's ways to get it under a stock hood too. Ask me how I know. I have pics I will upload later.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nothing looks cooler than a traditional blower...just add $3000 to your engine costs.
When I think some guys spend $1500 on a FI setup..I laugh like hell.
I'd rather buy a nice shiny blower than a throttle body and some electronics.:beer:
http://www.dyersblowers.com/1694.html

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lots of cash! Everyone is right here, lots of planning goes into building a blown motor. My next project will be to build a roots blown '55 Chrysler C300, 331 Hemi for my '50 Hudson Coupe. Gotta run low compression around 8.1-8.5 at most. O-ring the heads or block, 4-bolt mains on the centers, etc., etc. I plan to run EFI on top of my blower to get the most MPG and HP I can and be streetable. I'm new around here, but I'm sure there are some guys here that have built them and can assist in planning and building.

The one thing I would do (and I'm doing it now) is to have a plan and start to save and buy pieces as you can afford them. It takes patience and you've got to drive what you've got for awhile, but it will be worth it in the end. Now, I 'm disabled with a nasty nerve disease and my income dropped hugely. This method let's me work on something over time. Lot's of research doesn't cost much either but well worth it. Maybe not in your budget now, but you never know down the road. Good luck.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Lots of cash! Everyone is right here, lots of planning goes into building a blown motor. My next project will be to build a roots blown '55 Chrysler C300, 331 Hemi for my '50 Hudson Coupe. Gotta run low compression around 8.1-8.5 at most. O-ring the heads or block, 4-bolt mains on the centers, etc., etc. I plan to run EFI on top of my blower to get the most MPG and HP I can and be streetable. I'm new around here, but I'm sure there are some guys here that have built them and can assist in planning and building.

The one thing I would do (and I'm doing it now) is to have a plan and start to save and buy pieces as you can afford them. It takes patience and you've got to drive what you've got for awhile, but it will be worth it in the end. Now, I 'm disabled with a nasty nerve disease and my income dropped hugely. This method let's me work on something over time. Lot's of research doesn't cost much either but well worth it. Maybe not in your budget now, but you never know down the road. Good luck.
Going to be an awesome build, Very Cool!

Save yourself a lot of money and time and dont O ring the block. Completely unnecessary under 1500hp. There are MLS head gaskets out there today that will handle way over 1200hp..

They cost about $300.00 for both.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,608 Posts

I'm doing a 671 on a sbc 350 bored to a 360 just the long block not counting the blower, manifold and drive system plus the carbs, i'm running into the 7.5-8k range with a total price creeping into the 11-12k range, and it will be just for street and strip just a quick pulley change to drop or raise the boost on pump gas.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Going to be an awesome build, Very Cool!

Save yourself a lot of money and time and dont O ring the block. Completely unnecessary under 1500hp. There are MLS head gaskets out there today that will handle way over 1200hp..

They cost about $300.00 for both.
I heard of guys o-ringing the heads. Do you think its not necessary as well?

Thanks for the info on the MLS head gaskets, I'll have to look into those. It will be my first blown motor, so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before starting. I want to run it down the strip a few times. I've never done that and would like to learn just for fun, can't afford to be a racer, just want to have the feel of flying down the strip.......mid-life crisis thing! LOL

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm doing a 671 on a sbc 350 bored to a 360 just the long block not counting the blower, manifold and drive system plus the carbs, i'm running into the 7.5-8k range with a total price creeping into the 11-12k range, and it will be just for street and strip just a quick pulley change to drop or raise the boost on pump gas.
Sounds cool man!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts