El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired a 1979 GMC Diablo from the owners family. The Diablo was owned by an 83 year old woman who bought it new when she was 59 or 60. The vehicle is in good shape but, some maintanance has been neglected and it has been in storage for 2 years.

My Questions :

How rare or desireable is the GMC Diablo compared to the Royal / Black Knight Chevrolet?

How many were produced and what years of production cover Diablo's?

I have never actually seen another Diablo but I have seen other Knight packages. Have you seen one and if so, do you know of any parts car source for the small trim items that are now obsolete?

Your input will be greatly appreciated,

THx,

Diablo :evil: Doug

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
They're not all that rare. I don't know what the exact number that were produce someone here I'm sure will help you with that...ElkyPete maybe. A friend of mine also just acquired one a couple of months ago for $4000. It has 51K miles and is in GREAT shape. What trim parts are you needing? There are plenty of sources here for parts. New and used.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
theelcaminofactory said:
They're not all that rare.
I'd like to see some numbers too, but GM probably didn't keep track of that sort of thing :? I have never seen one in person. Only once in a great while I come across one on the 'Net. My opinion, they probably are quite rare, but theres more than likly no numbers to find out for sure :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Production numbers

Dan Smith has the number of all the years production and can tell you how many of each were built each year. I know that the total build for the year was 58,008 one of the largest production years ever. Dan can break that down and tell you how many of each model they built. We have quite a few GMC's in this area but I am sure that in some parts of the country they are very rare.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Thanks for the plug, Mike. General Motors did not keep (or did not publish) records on how many Diablos/Black-Royal Knights were produced.

If we were to accept that a model is "rare" when no more than 5% of the total model year production was that model, then if we found out that 348 1979 GMC Caballero Diablos were produced, then I'd call it rare. But I don't believe we know the numbers.

How desirable are Diablos when compared with Royal Knights? This is a personal taste question. Me, personally, I'd prefer a Royal Knight over a Diablo, but I'd prefer a Diablo over a regular El Camino. I've found that GMC models do, generally, sell for less than El Caminos.

I, personally, don't see many GMC Caballero Diablos. Maybe two in this area in the last three years. Also, have only seen two original Royal Knights in this area. Haven't seen a '78 Black Knight in the Chattanooga-No. Georgia-No. Alabama area.

I'd be interested to know if you have the build sheet or window sticker from your Diablo? Does it show RPO Z16 or RPO Z15, or both?

See my 5th Generation Super Sport article for some more information:
(Note-- you have to open the bullit under "where do GMC Diablo's fit in...")
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/article-34--0-0.html

1980 GMC Caballero Diablo:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey Doug, I too have a Diablo and have found that information on them is hard to find. As for actual obsevation, so far I've only met one other person that had/has one so i tend to think they're pretty rare. while the VIN numbers suggest the production numbers where high for "81, i don't know here they're hiding. talking with the previous owner of my ride, all his parts he found stateside so I wouldn't recomend looking in Canada. If you find a great place, I'd love to hear about it. Did your Diablo come with a full Decal set? Mine doesn't have the hood design and that may be the orignal owners choice but still... :?

·
Registered
313 Posts
In Monty montgomery's book production #'s for 1979 as follows:
1979 El Camino = 58,008 GMC/Caballero =6.952. This = 10% were GMC's. I believe the pricing is similar leaning towards GMC as Prod. #'s were lower.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
We have a real clean blue 79 diablo running around here in Halifax its the only one that ive seen around or know of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diablo Decal Package

OK so it is obvious that no one thinks Diablos are rare..... but nobody can find more than 1 anywhere! I guess that by definition maybe if something is really scarce and is of sufficient noteability that folks are looking for them ..... then maybe they are rare? Stickers or not, it will be hard to find a mating pair if you want them to reproduce.

Diablos, for the record were SS type based ( gauges and the the trim )... so a $ 75 sticker package is going a bit light on OEM cost. Say SS + Stickers and trim and many had the optional 350 ( not the vernable 305 ) so all things being equal... I'll take an SS, Knight or Diablo before a garden variety unit, wouldn't you?

Poll Question : If I reproduce the sticker package, how many takes would there be? I know I could use the first one.

Thanks for listening while I rave on...

Diablo :evil: Doug

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Re: SS

royalknight said:
I HAVE A 79 ROYAL KNIGHT AND IT IS AN SS AND IT HAS A 350 AND ONLY 31 ORIGANAL MILES HAHA SISSY GIRLS
Huh? 8O WTF? Who cares?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: SS

royalknight said:
I HAVE A 79 ROYAL KNIGHT AND IT IS AN SS AND IT HAS A 350 AND ONLY 31 ORIGANAL MILES HAHA SISSY GIRLS
I think you could laugh more if you got a life.

·
Registered
54 Posts
GMC Diablo

I just bought my 1st. I was looking for a elky but ran across my 82 CABALLERO DIABLO. It is a farly low mile car. Whin i got it the speedo cable
was broken. miles were 65,555. So i figure i'll add 5,000-10,000 more to be safe. The car is white w/ dark red on the bottom. int is dark red-oxblood?
full guages(all work)spit bench p/w p/l cruse, bla bla! I love it! It rides so nice. It will be better when i put on the f-41 sway, and braces, shocks and stuff. Tonite i put on the new wiper motor.Oh yea i'v had the Diablo for 2 mo. And i have not seen another.I live in Tulsa, Ok

·
Registered
281 Posts
Since were on the subject of GMC's, Diablo's, Caballero's and the like. I bought my Sprint almost 4 years ago and I haven't seen another Sprint since then. I'm a truck driver and travel quite a lot and I keep my eye peeled for any elcamino. Whether it be a Elco, Sprint, Royal Knight, Diablo.

How rare is a GMC Sprint? From what I've remember reading between 3800 and 5000 were built in 71.

Brian

·
Registered
230 Posts
Right on with just a "trim" option. BUT it was a cool trim option. 8) Mine came without the gauges as well. Yep I got the super duper cool dash plaque, fully agree I'd love to have a spare, just like I'd like to have a spare square hood ornament.

I'd agree, rare. Desirable? In the eyes of the beholder, I wouldn't trade mine for 4000 one dollars bills. :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts