El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was hoping someone here could help me determine about how rare my car is. I've never seen another colored this way, or with the trim that it has. It looks like it has some choo choo parts (hood, body trim) but no choo choo decals or emblems anywhere. Also, it has a normal nose. However, when I was doing the engine swap, I noticed that there are small amounts of red paint showing on the underside of the nose, like it wasn't the original. The car originally came with a 229 v6, th200 3 speed, manual locks and windows, tach, and variable wipers. An odd combination of options to me. Anyway, I have pictures of it here: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=50983

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Have you found anything in the car besides the red paint that would indicate it originally had a choo choo front nose on it? Documentation, Choo Choo Customs tag, etc. As you know, someone in the cruck's life could have swapped that stuff on, and it's not that uncommon to find that it's been in an accident in its long life and had a used replacement nose. I also noticed that the black paint goes too far up the fender flares, if you look on original Super Sports or even Conquistas you will see that the paint doesn't cover the whole flare. Not saying that the whole car was repainted, but the black could of been added at any point in it's life. What you really need to find is the RPO codes, this has all the option codes and the paint codes. A quick search on here or google will tell you what all the codes mean. Hope I was of some help.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered about the nose being added later because of a crash too. I am the 3rd owner of the car, the one before me had it since 89 and said that it had never been in a crash since he owned it, and it was that color with the stripes when he got it. I wondered if the whole car had been repainted, but couldn't find any other paint color anywhere but the nose. It also appears that it was originally a super sport, it has the SS dash emblem and is listed as one on the title. Maybe someone did some touch up on the stripes and painted them too high?

About the RPO codes, where are they located?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Does it have chrome or black trim behind the door glass? Factory Z15 SS crucks were black. Base and Conquistas had a chrome bead on that piece. I'm not the Choo Choo expert, but I think almost all Choo Choos were built from non-Z15 stock. Since they were modifying trucks already built, it would make sense to start with a single color and not pay extra for an air dam they were going to replace anyway. Which brings up the question...did Choo Choo remove the bumper and header or did they get them without a nose? If it's the former, what did they do with the take-offs? In reference to yours, if it has a black piece, and Super Sport dash badge, it would be a factory Sport appearance package, built with regular bumper, header, air dam, and two tone paint similar but not exactly like yours, but not a Choo Choo SS. Probably. And it would make sense that someone-dealer, first owner, etc liked the looks of the scoop and ground effects and added them. Could make for an interesting story if you can solve it. Patrick.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has black trim. So that means factory SS. Judging by that, and the fact that there are no Choo Choo stickers anywhere, I think its just a SS that someone put the trim and the hood on. However, that doesn't explain the paint. If I can find the codes that show the original color somewhere maybe I can figure that out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok got all the codes that were in the glove box copied down. Anyone have a link to a chart or decoder?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks everyone. With the help of the codes I was able to determine that it was ordered by a customer of a dealership in Oregon, and the only things it came with originally that are no longer on it are the original rally wheels ( really wish I still had those ), the AM radio, and the 229 engine. Other then that, everything it was ordered with is still there. Also, the main body color ( the light blue ) is original, and so are the lower stripes ( although they were touched up at some point and extended to cover the arch flares ). Thanks everyone for your help now I know what my car was like originally.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you have the sticker from the glove box it should have Z15 on it for factory SS (sport appearance) package. Your car would have had the air dam on the front, too. Might have been destroyed when the front got bumped.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya the Z15 code was there in the glovebox. And I have the original air dam in my attic the mounting loops all broke so I had to take it off. Anyone know if those can be repaired?

Also, now that I know the bodykit isn't original, I'm considering pulling it all off and possibly selling it. Anyone around here interested? I also have a complete set of bed trim, and rear window trim from my parts car.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You might be able to repair it with some epoxy and reinforcements (like washers maybe). Or buy a replacement from one of our supporting vendors. Body shops are getting better at repairing parts like that, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts