El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't ask me why (because the wife already has !!) but a part of me wants to make the Elky a little louder when the need arises.....

So here's my idea...

Thinking about buying one 3" electric exhaust cut-out and Tig welding it on the back end of the "X" crossover section of my Pypes exhaust system.

Then splitting that into two 2 1/2" pipes which would exit in front of the rear wheels.

Reason for only one cut-out is it's simple, less expensive, and the system would be really "clean" .

But what would that sound like since in essence you would have an 8-cyl sound coming out on each side of the car....

Should I just save the money for beer ?? :dontknow:

Arnie in Iowa

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Make mine a Rolling Rock, please!:dontknow:

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
Might consider the Dynomax VT muffler. They have a valve inside that opens up under more aggressive driving that makes it a straight through muffler. When cruising or just under light acceleration, the valve is closed and the sound is suppressed. Supposed to eliminate droning too.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Unless I'm reading it wrong, you'll have 2 "live" exits on one side and one "live" exit on the other?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
..Nawww,buy two,that way,you can drowed out your wife,as,she yelling at you to slow down.:driving:
:poke:

:beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,094 Posts
Quiet is best!

Make mine a Corona and don't forget the lime!

A shot of Cuervo with some salt too please.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless I'm reading it wrong, you'll have 2 "live" exits on one side and one "live" exit on the other?
At this time I have two pipes (duals) one of each exiting behind the rear tires.

I am thinking about splitting the exhaust coming out of one 3" cutout, (tig welded to the "X" crossover pipe) and routing it out two 2 1/2" pipes in front of the tire. Actually I would keep these two pipes basically under the frame with each having a 45 degree downturn. But basically exhausting in front of the tire.
(That way I could throw road debris on the "rice burners" that want to race.........just kidding.)

Arnie in Iowa

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
That will be Nascar Loud, especially inside the car. You'll especially love the popping on deceleration :beer:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That will be Nascar Loud, especially inside the car. You'll especially love the popping on deceleration :beer:
Yes, probably too loud...
But at my age, every once in a while, it's fun to aggravate the living hell out of someone.....:nanawrench:

Arnie in Iowa

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
..ATTA BOY, If you ain't kicking up rocks,then you ain't driving like NASCAR...:beer:
:beer:

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,666 Posts
At this time I have two pipes (duals) one of each exiting behind the rear tires.

I am thinking about splitting the exhaust coming out of one 3" cutout, (tig welded to the "X" crossover pipe) and routing it out two 2 1/2" pipes in front of the tire. Actually I would keep these two pipes basically under the frame with each having a 45 degree downturn. But basically exhausting in front of the tire.
(That way I could throw road debris on the "rice burners" that want to race.........just kidding.)

Arnie in Iowa

Sounds to me you have the factory single exhaust, why dont you get some headers and have a true dual exhaust, also if have just a plain jane V8 dont go any bigger than 2 1/4 tube its pointless, if your engine isn't doing any big breathing.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Pretty sure you,ve seen mine in photobucket pics & the you tube link. While mine is a cable operated valve I made out of a cadillac northstar throttle body, I made an exit right at the end of the x-pipe, which turns it into a y-pipe when the valve is open to exit through my custom made megaphone shaped y-pipe. It's a little simpler, compact & cheaper than trying to snake 2 pipes upfront. I have a 4" valve & used diesel truck 4"pipe which I oblonged to fit on the 2.5" x-pipe.
I'm happy with the on demand loudness & would reccommend it to anyone not afraid to call the squemish guy holding his ears a sissy.:beer:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds to me you have the factory single exhaust, why dont you get some headers and have a true dual exhaust, also if have just a plain jane V8 dont go any bigger than 2 1/4 tube its pointless, if your engine isn't doing any big breathing.
Nope....Pypes SS system with Hedman headers...gotta let the 383 breathe...

·
Registered
3 Posts
If its too loud your too old....that's what i told my wife! Myself i have long tube hooker headers bolted 2 about 2ft of 2 1/4 pipe and a set of Thrush single chamber mufflers dumped down...almost every person i pass stares as i rumble by and after all isnt that the point!

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
This is coming from an old fart - I like my long tube headers, 2.5'' exhaust and Flowmaster 40's.

If I keep my heavy foot out of it, it just has a nice medium rumble, if I get on it, they put out a nice loud rumble that the neighbors hear inside there homes. Guess I don't want to attract too much attention with too loud, especially sitting next to a local police car (and they seem to be everywhere nowadays).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts