El Camino Central Forum banner

How Stupid is this idea.....

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  BOOSTED-SS-ELKY 
#1 ·
Don't ask me why (because the wife already has !!) but a part of me wants to make the Elky a little louder when the need arises.....

So here's my idea...

Thinking about buying one 3" electric exhaust cut-out and Tig welding it on the back end of the "X" crossover section of my Pypes exhaust system.

Then splitting that into two 2 1/2" pipes which would exit in front of the rear wheels.

Reason for only one cut-out is it's simple, less expensive, and the system would be really "clean" .

But what would that sound like since in essence you would have an 8-cyl sound coming out on each side of the car....

Should I just save the money for beer ?? :dontknow:

Arnie in Iowa

#3 ·
Might consider the Dynomax VT muffler. They have a valve inside that opens up under more aggressive driving that makes it a straight through muffler. When cruising or just under light acceleration, the valve is closed and the sound is suppressed. Supposed to eliminate droning too.

#8 ·
At this time I have two pipes (duals) one of each exiting behind the rear tires.

I am thinking about splitting the exhaust coming out of one 3" cutout, (tig welded to the "X" crossover pipe) and routing it out two 2 1/2" pipes in front of the tire. Actually I would keep these two pipes basically under the frame with each having a 45 degree downturn. But basically exhausting in front of the tire.
(That way I could throw road debris on the "rice burners" that want to race.........just kidding.)

Arnie in Iowa

#9 ·
That will be Nascar Loud, especially inside the car. You'll especially love the popping on deceleration :beer:

#10 ·
That will be Nascar Loud, especially inside the car. You'll especially love the popping on deceleration :beer:
Yes, probably too loud...
But at my age, every once in a while, it's fun to aggravate the living hell out of someone.....:nanawrench:

Arnie in Iowa

#15 ·
Pretty sure you,ve seen mine in photobucket pics & the you tube link. While mine is a cable operated valve I made out of a cadillac northstar throttle body, I made an exit right at the end of the x-pipe, which turns it into a y-pipe when the valve is open to exit through my custom made megaphone shaped y-pipe. It's a little simpler, compact & cheaper than trying to snake 2 pipes upfront. I have a 4" valve & used diesel truck 4"pipe which I oblonged to fit on the 2.5" x-pipe.
I'm happy with the on demand loudness & would reccommend it to anyone not afraid to call the squemish guy holding his ears a sissy.:beer:

#21 ·
Pypes mufflers...
But I'm not crazy about them...
They are the quietest ones Pypes makes..
Wish they were a little deerer sounding.

Arnie in Iowa

#19 ·
If its too loud your too old....that's what i told my wife! Myself i have long tube hooker headers bolted 2 about 2ft of 2 1/4 pipe and a set of Thrush single chamber mufflers dumped down...almost every person i pass stares as i rumble by and after all isnt that the point!

#20 ·
This is coming from an old fart - I like my long tube headers, 2.5'' exhaust and Flowmaster 40's.

If I keep my heavy foot out of it, it just has a nice medium rumble, if I get on it, they put out a nice loud rumble that the neighbors hear inside there homes. Guess I don't want to attract too much attention with too loud, especially sitting next to a local police car (and they seem to be everywhere nowadays).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.