El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been getting pretty low MPG on my 85 elky.. I just do basic maintenance on the el camino was wondering where to locate the fuel filter and how to take it out and install the new one.. easiest way if possible? also what else are some tips and tricks for better gas millage. Appreciate it :D! :nanawrench:

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you have the stock e4me Quadrajet 4 bbl carb, the filter is found where the fuel line attaches to the carb. See below.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Remove air filter ,look at front of carb toward passenger side. See hard fuel line from fuel tank . Engine cold. !! Look at face of carb where it is attached. Place a rag under this location for dripping fuel. Get a fuel filter like [ Gf-471 } , a large open end wrench maybe an inch and an eight,or an inch and a quarter . And a flare wrench like 13/16 " ? . Hold the large wrench on the one side of the fitting and turn the flare wrench on the fuel line side.Loosen fuel line has a flare on the end. Move slighty out of way DO NOT Bend ! Then loosen the the larger fitting with care it has a spring on the inside , Remove filter replace in reverse order do not over tighten . Start and check for leaks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remove air filter ,look at front of carb toward passenger side. See hard fuel line from fuel tank . Engine cold. !! Look at face of carb where it is attached. Place a rag under this location for dripping fuel. Get a fuel filter like [ Gf-471 } , a large open end wrench maybe an inch and an eight,or an inch and a quarter . And a flare wrench like 13/16 " ? . Hold the large wrench on the one side of the fitting and turn the flare wrench on the fuel line side.Loosen fuel line has a flare on the end. Move slighty out of way DO NOT Bend ! Then loosen the the larger fitting with care it has a spring on the inside , Remove filter replace in reverse order do not over tighten . Start and check for leaks.
thanks a ton! gonna try it later this week :)

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,948 Posts
Make sure you put it in correctly !
Sometimes it gets put in backwards ! (Flow direction)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Also at least mine was fussy when I went to put it back together. I found plumbers tape like thing to add to making it leak proof. Make sure to check it after a drive or two as well to be sure fuel line isn't leaking.

If your mileage doesn't. Change much you should try a seafoam crankcase cleaning it cleans up a lot of the deposits that build up. Do read the instructions and do it properly its meant to clean the system after a few uses but not all at once. I've done this myself and have noticed a smoother idle,increased mpg(not a ton but only done 1 cleaning so far) and more pep(305). I also use it in my tank but that's a another topic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts