El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! This is my first how to post so I apologize if it is redundant. I'm just handy enough to get myself into trouble and was wondering if anyone knows how to get to the spark plugs on the right side of my car? I bought a 87 el camino with a 305. The driver side are pretty easily accessible but the passenger side is a mess. I was considering taking off the passenger side wheel to get in that way? Any help or direction to the right thread would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I think a lot of people do that. And also the inner fender

Reactions: dmosko

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Also, there are threads about this subject around here. HKDUP put several spark plug threads here addressing all kinds of help. I'm pretty sure he took off the inner fender.
I just play contortionist and have a few universal socket extensions. o_O

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
easiest way to do it is drill a hole thru the plastic wheel well liner, reach thru with an extension. I posted that a few years ago

·
Registered
186 Posts
easiest way to do it is drill a hole thru the plastic wheel well liner, reach thru with an extension. I posted that a few years ago
that would be my advise, but get plugs bought first and hole saw the correct size for the plugs, I'll look for them and post a link

fleabay item 254242192217

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
No need to drill a huge hole, just read thru this thread here

the really funny part about this? It was posted 5 yrs ago on Good Friday! perfect timing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the advice! I ended up taking off the wheel and liner. It worked fairly well. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I took Hertford a victory drive after and forgot to respond back!

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
x2
using a piece of 3/8" fuel hose or 3/16" vacuum hose on the plug,
you can guide it in and turn with the other hand,,
easy-er to get them started without cross threading with a long extension..

a extra long or extended plug socket works good with just a wrench to turn it..
and a fine tooth ratchet helps sometimes..

with headers, a short plug socket and a wrench works..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just did mine and it took an hour. Usually I go thru the wheel well (without removing the fender liner) but this time didn't want to break out the jack and jackstands.

The hardest are, of course, the back ones on both sides. I use a variety of extensions including a very short 1". Also, my plug socket is magnetic which helps with both removal (prevents dropping the plug) and installation (the socket holds the plug while you guide it into the hole). It also has a 3/4 hex on the end which you can use to turn it.

On some plugs you have to 'assemble' the tool - first put the socket on the plug, then add your extension and finally the ratchet. I use a universal head ratchet. On others I had to use a 3/4 socket on the end of the plug socket and attach the ratchet to the socket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts