El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a basic vanilla 1980 Elky. It has steel wheels with trim rings. I'm repainting the wheels gray.

What's an attractive way to spiff up the wheels? Chrome lug nuts?
What's the term for the small hug cap-like cover in the center of the wheel?

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Technically they are "hub caps", but for rally wheels I've always referred to them as "center caps". I've always liked the wheels painted gray, or "argent silver".

·
Registered
105 Posts
ohh man.. have I got the thing for you.. if you dont have rally wheels.. or just dont feel like using normal center caps.. take a look at these.. got me a set.. they were cheap.. and look AMAZING!!..

TRI BAR SPINNERS @ JC WHITNEY

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
dixierose said:
I've got a basic vanilla 1980 Elky. It has steel wheels with trim rings. I'm repainting the wheels gray.

What's an attractive way to spiff up the wheels? Chrome lug nuts?
What's the term for the small hug cap-like cover in the center of the wheel?
Your truck is a "Unique" color. I think Polished Aluminum Wheels would look really nice or even a set of Craigers. Purple goes well with chrome or Polished Aluminum Pieces.

I think the color of the truck will detract from any ordanary wheels, such as the Factory Rally Wheels. You need to be bolder for them to stand out and complement the paint.

But then...

Its just an opinion.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had the same problem. When I got my 84, it had S-15 wheels on the back, so they were wider and larger diameter, but the same style. I got new trim rings for them, painted them metallic silver and gloss black in those dipped parts around the holes of the wheels. I then got some chrome lug nuts. I also painted the brake drums and center part of the rotors on the front black. Just an idea, but doing something like that can spice things up. I could send you some pictures. Or, if you really wanna stand out, I can make you some spinners. real spinners, you stop, they don't. Yes, I know how to, and pretty well. Get them chrome or painted, or both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts