El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rally cap that makes noise when I hit a bump on the road it's maybe missing a clip not sure yet but i don't want to replace it since the emblems are chevy logo sliver and I can find them anywhere? as you can see on my avi. anybody have this small issue before?

·
Registered
47 Posts
This issue has been a problem for years with me. Southwest low humidity and high heat really weakens plastic. Three broke last two years; last one by annual state safety inspection (registered in NY driven back and forth to AZ). Buying new every now and then from Mike's Montes. Have an idea to create a snap ring to attach to rally wheel clips and have gripper fingers that hold the plastic center cap, but haven't perfected the device yet because of priorities and can still buy new. Maybe someone with more time could perfect an attachment device. If I get my idea built, I will let the community know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wouldn't drive to long with a rattler. A bridge expansion joint bump in Missouri knocked off one loose cap with only four of the five plastic tabs holding. Looks like you could dremel or drill out the plastic attachment points on back of cap and preserve the unique silver center piece to attach to a new cap. I could try it on my experimental broken caps, but my technique may be different than yours and not guarantee repeatable success.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
:geek: If you are talking about the whole
cap being loose.. Forget my Gorilla
glue comment. I thought you were talking
about the insert emblem inside cap..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you are concerned about losing the emblem, I would remove the entire cap ASAP. As Youngstorm suggests, remove the emblem and chromed centerpiece. I think you would have much more surface area to glue that centerpiece to a donor cap. And make sure the glued cap is secure before reinstalling on your wheel.

I never use a cap that does't have all five tabs. GMC emblems are very difficult to find and I lost an original one with a cap missing just one tab.

Something I have noticed is the tabs on the repro caps seem thinner than those on original caps and thus are easier to break. I don't recall who it was, but someone on the forum suggested aligning the lug nuts so that the flat sides were parallel to the tabs. When I do remove a cap I try to pry it off gently and straight off to avoid putting any excess stress on the tabs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What I've done before was remove one of the fake lug nuts and open up the hole. Then install a real chrome lug nut in that position. Just remember its there when you remove the cap the next time or you'll break it trying to pry it off!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a rally cap that makes noise when I hit a bump on the road it's maybe missing a clip not sure yet but i don't want to replace it since the emblems are chevy logo sliver and I can find them anywhere? as you can see on my avi. anybody have this small issue before?

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I have been down this road prior, and once the clips on the back side are broke or fragile, pull them off or they will be in a ditch somewhere.
My center caps had the gold chevy logo on them. The center cap emblem is a sticker. You can take a sharp edge tool to pry up a edge of the center cap sticker, then take a piece of fishing line, or something similar strong and small, and put it under the place you just lifted up with the sharp tool. then use a sawing motion (like flossing) to go under the center cap emblem to remove it.
Once you have removed all 4, save them for the new caps you can purchase off ebay (foreign made but still not bad quality) and replace the center caps with the ones you just saved from your old set. The new ones come with red surrounding and gold chevy bow tie.
So to keep the new center caps from doing what the old ones did with the clips on the cap back and to reinforce them.
JB weld is you old friend. All four caps, all 20 clips on the back. starting at the base, and working half way up the clip, apply liberal amounts of JB weld to the clips and let dry 24 to 36 hours for them to fully cure. After I was done, I took and applied several coats of clear coat on the center hub to make sure my chevy logo in the center did not come off and looked sharp and shiny.
Been 2 years since I have done this and they are still going strong. Word of caution though, when having tire work done, remove the caps yourself prior to having it done. Shop people don't care about the clips on your center caps. Hope this helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts