El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I need to get the temp guage unit out of the thermostat housing on top of the intake and it wont budge. The housing is aluminum and i dont want to crack it. I have already tried WD-40 4 times now today and is preventing me from hooking up the new guage. Any tricks on how to loosen it with out breaking the housing?

Thanks guys

Brandon

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Maybe try tightening it just a hair or 2?

Or get a heat gun or hair dryer and warm it up.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would a lighter work? I have heard or torching bolts?
Thanks 69SS396

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Let the WD soak over night, if still no luck, housings are 10 bucks at Oreilly's

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put first coat of WD-40 on at 10:00 am. Should be good by now? I may go back out and try some more things.

Thanks guys

Brandon

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Overnight

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have not checked but, will it pass through the inner diameter? If so maybe you could tighten it up till it com:twisted:es out the back side, unless you don't have the housing off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have not checked but, will it pass through the inner diameter? If so maybe you could tighten it up till it com:twisted:es out the back side, unless you don't have the housing off.
Posting from my phone, dont know why my emoticon ended up there plus it was the wrong one

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
drain the coolant below the housing height then heat with a torch and run wax around the fitting the wax usually will wick down the threads and make it come out. my machine shop guy turned me on to this trick and works good on other plugs in the block.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a problem. From what i can see there are no threads on the bolt. Now does the plastic piece come out or does the whole bolt?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well no it my sensor unit but on top of that there is a bolt that is hollow for the sensor it self not the thermostat

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
the whole thing comes out..

that is the temp switch for the computer,,its not for the gauge in the dash..

and that probe for the new gauge needs to screw into the adapter that should have come with it
with out the adapter it wont seal..
and it may not fit in there,,thats not where it goes,,it goes in the head..:texas:
that is the temp switch for the computer,,its not for the gauge in the dash..
but if you really want to get it out?? put a wrench on it with a 4 foot cheeter..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts