El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have my 78 elky and from my research when i try to do a burnout only one wheel is gonna spin.. So how to i make it a Posi ?? Do i have to change the gears ?? If so how ???

·
813 Posts
you will need a posi unit, the gearing really has nothing to do with it unless you want to change it. Then you would need a new ring and pinion also

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
your best bet might be to look for a used complete unit and swap it out..

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you will need a posi unit, the gearing really has nothing to do with it unless you want to change it. Then you would need a new ring and pinion also
Ok

your best bet might be to look for a used complete unit and swap it out..

Im gonna be running 275/60/15's in the rear and wondering if i should change the gears and what vehicle would be best to find the used complete unit ???

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yo ucan weld the spider gears together lol. Jk dont do that...

You have to at least buy a new carrier. New ones will run ya closer to $400. You can get a used one for half that or less. And its a pretty in depth job, so you wanna make sure youve got your ducks in a row before jumping in

·
Registered
852 Posts
Jegs and Summit racing sell 'Mini-spools' they basically replace the spider gears and you dont need to change anything. they fit in the origional carrier and since you dont pull anything other than the axles and spiders you dont need to set up gears or adjust gear lash. theyre about $120 if i remember brand new.

theyre not posi tho, they basically lock the axles together (think how a quad acts on asphalt) so anytime you turn the inside tire turns the same speed as the outside so it eats tires really fast.

i put a full spool in my car and i go through a new pair of tires every 4 or 5 months... so it gets pretty spendy, but it atleast guarantees both tires always get equal power and it always spins em both.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Ok

Im gonna be running 275/60/15's in the rear and wondering if i should change the gears and what vehicle would be best to find the used complete unit ???

Check the bone yards and find a 78-87 Gran Prix, Monte Carlo, Buick Regal or Olds Cutlass or Chev. Malibu. Those are interchangeable with the Elky. Search this forum on what to look for to make sure its a posi rearend. be sure and grab the sway bar if the donor car has one..

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if your axles re getting worn you might as well move to the 28 spline axles and the posi from a camaro or s10 blazer. if you are going that tall a tire you might need more gear depending on what trans you have or plan to switch to later

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I have seen quite a few posi diffs from the Monte SS on CraigsList, I personally have purchased two in the last three years. Got an 86 for my Monte SS, and just bought an 87 posi from an SS which will find its home in my 79 project

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Go to a Salvage yard or ebaymotors, You need a 7.5, 7.6 or a 7.5/8 with a 26 spline axle. There are two factory styles cone style or Gov-lok. Heres a a photo of each.the

Doug
Cone style

Gov-Lok

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jegs and Summit racing sell 'Mini-spools' they basically replace the spider gears and you dont need to change anything. they fit in the origional carrier and since you dont pull anything other than the axles and spiders you dont need to set up gears or adjust gear lash. theyre about $120 if i remember brand new.

theyre not posi tho, they basically lock the axles together (think how a quad acts on asphalt) so anytime you turn the inside tire turns the same speed as the outside so it eats tires really fast.

i put a full spool in my car and i go through a new pair of tires every 4 or 5 months... so it gets pretty spendy, but it atleast guarantees both tires always get equal power and it always spins em both.
But when burnout they will spin both tires ??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
IMO
Rule one; if you race it your going to break it!!
Rule two, you build this up then your going to break that
And rule three is; When you finally get it done... (see rules one & two)!!!
But man what a rush!!!:nanawrench:
I've had the mini spool, if you like hearing your rubber being left everytime you pull into a parking space or make a turn, then go for it. Yes they both will spin!!
Donny

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I would go with ether one on a stock or mostly daily driver. I rebuild the 7.5 inch with new Auburn (cone style)posi in my 81 Malibu. My 78 El Camino has a used factory auburn (cone style)posi from a 87 Camaro. Some say the Aurburn is better because a gov-lok spins one tire then the other and on the street that has to be had on internal part of the governor. Dont run a spool on the street it will eat your tires and break axles.

Doug

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would go with ether one on a stock or mostly daily driver. I rebuild the 7.5 inch with new Auburn (cone style)posi in my 81 Malibu. My 78 El Camino has a used factory auburn (cone style)posi from a 87 Camaro. Some say the Aurburn is better because a gov-lok spins one tire then the other and on the street that has to be had on internal part of the governor. Dont run a spool on the street it will eat your tires and break axles.

Doug
What do you recommend ?? a whole used unit from monte ss ?? or another 78-87 vehicle.

And should i get 8.5 or 7.5 ? i think i have 7.5 now.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I say get a cone style new or used. If you have access to a 8.5 inch that will fit your El Camino then go with it. A rebuilt 7.5 inch with all new bearings, axles if needed with a posi should be fine for many years to come.

Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts