El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo... long story short, the chrome trim on my 2- tone camino fell off this past weekend.
i took a look at it, and it was apparently held on by super glue..:dontknow:

i am looking at getting clips to put back on the RIGHT way, but looking at the clips, they confuse me, and is there a way i can get the openings on the body back open?

i may sound confusing, but its 'cause i have like, NO experience in doin this before.

any help would be appreciated!

thank you:beer:

http://s1169.photobucket.com/albums/r502/jamesahill1/

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
Looks like it's missing the little stud that holds the clip on the body, Then the molding snaps on the clip ! You slip the clip on the little stud ! You might have to get some little replacement screws they make for that problem with no studs ?:dontknow:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so is there a way to remove the stud from inside the body? the part that looks like it broke off...

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
No it is spot welded on. You can move a few inches back and forth with the clip location if you need to with no problem but the little screws will be your best answer.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Actually aluminum pop rivets work better

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
soo.. i need to drill some new holes for the clips to fit into?

am i understanding this correctly? and then the clips will pop into em okay?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, every stud is broken off inside the door body...

so i spose im gonna be puttin some new holes in, and the screws hold the clip in, and the trim attaches onto those clips?

am i on the right track here?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just put new replacement trims on my 87 El Camino, and they have been the easiest trim pieces I've ever installed. And I've installed a lot of various trim pieces on many different vehicles. Drill your holes, put the replacement screws in place, slide the clips on the head of the screw, hang the top side of the trim on the clip, and firmly press the lower portion of the trim into place. Most often I just use the palm of my hand and do a quick " pop " style press, hitting it once solidly until it makes that snap sound. Very easy, even for a novice.

The trick when drilling new holes is making a streight line, very important. Use a marking line ( you can remove the line before installing the trim, or leave it as the trim will cover the line ). Good luck.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
The screws work almost the same as the original rivet. BUT, when you drill the hole you have bare metal on the edge of the hole. You can take a small brush and cover the bare metal with primer. BUT when you screw in the screw it will remove the primer. Yes I know the screw has that rubbery material at the end that's supposed to stay in the hole to prevent rust. More often then not the screw forces that material back out as you screw in. That's why I said aluminum rivets. They are soft enough to not disturb the primer yet strong enough to hold the molding clips. Remember water and debris collect around these clips and will cause rust again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright. Thanks for all the help. I'll be doin that either tomorrow or tonight when I get home, and will letya guys know how it goes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts