El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the breather tube out of the passenger side valve cover? Or am I going to have to remove the valve cover to do it?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
After time the rubber insert shrinks,no you dont need to remove the valve cover ,just trist it while pulling it will come out ,you can pick up a new bushing at a parts house .:texas:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've pulled and twisted with all my strength, or close to it, and didn't get it out. But I figured there was nothing really holding it in, so it ought to work.

The rubber gasket on the other side, with the PCV valve, was hard, too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Please let me know where you find the bushing. Mine leaks. I cant find it in the shops.
They sell the PCV bushing but not this one. :???: 5th Gen.:???:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Mike, the breather cap has a ridge near the bottom to keep it in the rubber bushing/gasket/whatever. When the cap stays in without being removed for a very long time, it hardens into place, and the ridge on the cap is hard to pull thru.

Most of the breather caps I buy have a new rubber "sealer" that you just take out the old one and put the new one in to replace it. Made to fit the new cap.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
take a small screwdriver and drive it through the rubber to split it and the tube will come right out .they will get hard as a rock in time and not let the tube come out easily. or just keep pulling on it .either way you will need to break up the old one to get it out of the valve cover. autozone sells the gromets in thier help section. i buy mine there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts