El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "new" '82 El Camino temp gage is inop and the check engine light is on. It also will not pass CA smog, so I'm suspecting the temp sender is bad and confusing the ECU. Can somebody tell me the test procedure for the temp sender? And is it the one at the front of the intake manifold with two wires? I have a shop manual coming but DMV won't wait for that smog certificate! It's a 350 engine, BTW!

Another question: I've looked everywhere for the diagnostic code plug that's supposed to be under the dash. Where else might it be?

Thanks!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
If you fail smog you can take it to AAA or the DMV and pay for the tags and get a free 30 day extension to fix it. Just make sure the smog place rechecks for free.

·
Supporting Member
4,504 Posts
The ALDL plug is located on the bottom edge of the dash, above the gas pedal, next to the ash tray. May have a cover over it( if it hasn't been lost!). The temp sender for the ECM is in the intake manifold ( 2 wires). The temp Sender for the gauge is in the driver's side head, between the 1st and 3rd cylinder ( single green wire).

The gauge not working and the ECM issues are two separate issues. The sender for the gauge does not provide any info to the ECM. You will need to find the ALDL connector and retrieve the codes to truly understand what might be the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts