El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All I was on the site for some time and then when the password change happened my login stopped working, now my job and email changed I signed up again.
Anyways I listed my car on Craigslist and wanted to know what the best way to really determine the value would be? I have no time to use the car it sits covered in the garage and on occasion I take it out and around the block. The car is a 1968 El Camino SS true 138 car numbers matching block and heads the 12 bolt has the same date code as the block and the muncie four speed may have been swapped out early since the vin on it seems off but the date code is real close. New interior and clean paint motor is fresh new seals in the trans and new pinion seal pretty much all there. Few flaws are the front window is scratched from wipers missing some of the a/c parts, a ding in the paint. I have more pics but they take forever to load. Anyways I believe that hagerty had it insured for 47K but obviously a realistic number is what I am looking for and want it to go to a good home.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,124 Posts
Welcome back Mike, glad you are here. Your 68 looks beautiful. I'm not sure on the value. In Idaho, I see 3rd gen in 10,000 to 15,000 range. I think on the prices in your area. Best of luck in the sale of it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mike, as you say, $47K is unrealistic. If it just came off the showroom floor and had been kept all these years in a bubble, $43K would be the max. I understand that that's not what you are asking. Frankly, without a lot more pictures, including under the hood and of the interior, it's hard to get a true idea of the condition/appeal of the truck. Based on what you said, it's only partially matching numbers (you didn't mention the rear end). Let's say we call it original numbers. The A/C needs to be rebuilt. The paint is not original, but the interior is new. Bucket seats? 325 HP?

So, my thought is that this is a $14,000 to $19,500 truck. I realize that this range doesn't narrow it down much. Need more details.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
When my EC was hit I used the following tool from Hagerty to value my car. The at fault driver's ins. co. wanted to give me KBB value which is not true value. They paid the amount that Hagerty assessed.
Your classic car should be valued as that. Classic. Try using this site for starters...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine is the 350 hp 396 buckets console the rear end is matching and the disclosure about the trans is it seems correct date code but different vin.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I recall a member who bought a black 68 similar to mine maybe needed a little work but was automatic and maybe not matching numbers and I thought is was purchased in the 30ish range but I could be wrong.

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems the Hagerty valuation tool is more in line with what I thought. So next would be what level is it since I’m somewhat biased.
3836CE19-ED5C-4DBD-B8C1-903E85478A4D.png

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
You will need to see the web page on the Hagerty site that explains their condition ratings. Biased as you may be their guidelines are fairly objective. At worst the tool is a document you can print out and have in hand.

·
Registered
278 Posts
always start high anyways. probably wouldn't hurt to start at $30k. you will still likely get the people making you low ball offers anyways. you can always lower the price but always looks bad if you go to jack it up after listing it too low. if it looks as good in person as it does in the pictures i don't see why you couldn't get $20-30k for it. most of the time the stuff in the $5-15k range usually needs work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need to see the description on hagerty site I think the Camino is in the mid to upper 30’s with what I have in receipts and into the car I have seen some listed in the 40’s but who knows if they have sold and if so what they went for. Any idea where to sell I have a exotic specialized car broker within two miles but my concern they have exotics and many muscle cars was thinking about trying them but I hate to leave the car there the way they pack them in there. Guess I can go talk with them. However any other areas that make sense to advertise would be real helpful. As said early on it sits covered and at times is not started for several months. Always starts up and when the key is turned I have spend allot to ensure it can be driven taken to one show and left with a trophy. Car is super clean and I think it’s time to let it go so help with advertisers would be appreciated. I know that I looked for a unicorn (#’s matching) it took over two years to find one. Seems there are less and less out there and the ones advertised are stupid money.

thankfor all your responses so far.

·
Registered
278 Posts
best to list it for whatever you think it is worth especially if you got receipts. worst case scenario you could always lower the price or just keep it till you find someone who is willing offer you a fair value on it. also take into consideration that it may or may not sell very quick with this virus going around. people may be a bit more hesitant to spend large amounts on a toy till things return to a bit more like normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great point however the used market for boats right now is off the charts record high pricing. But also am in no hurry allot of blood sweat and tears went into this car and cash as well so I’m not in a hurry to sell it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All I was on the site for some time and then when the password change happened my login stopped working, now my job and email changed I signed up again.
Anyways I listed my car on Craigslist and wanted to know what the best way to really determine the value would be? I have no time to use the car it sits covered in the garage and on occasion I take it out and around the block. The car is a 1968 El Camino SS true 138 car numbers matching block and heads the 12 bolt has the same date code as the block and the muncie four speed may have been swapped out early since the vin on it seems off but the date code is real close. New interior and clean paint motor is fresh new seals in the trans and new pinion seal pretty much all there. Few flaws are the front window is scratched from wipers missing some of the a/c parts, a ding in the paint. I have more pics but they take forever to load. Anyways I believe that hagerty had it insured for 47K but obviously a realistic number is what I am looking for and want it to go to a good home.

Thanks in advance

View attachment 131215
I'm just now starting to read this thread cause I'm curious now too....but I gotta say, that one is pretty. Plus it's an SS w 4spd...?...sign me up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mike...does this car have a/c? I've looked at some pictures elsewhere to try and determine and can't really tell. It looks like it has a compressor so that's why I ask. So tempted to make an offer on this car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mike, good luck with selling your truck. Do let us know how much you sell it for. If you get what you ask for that's great because it means that the market is strong and that's good news for all of us El Camino owners.

Greg

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hagerty values are based upon a factory stock car. Any deviations bring the price down. And if you drive it, it will be at most, a #3 maybe 2.
The car does need work, (windshield, A/C, wrong paint, not completely numbers matching). All these bring the price down too.

I'd say at most 25K here in SoCal. Probably higher in the east where a rust free car is hard to find

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike...does this car have a/c? I've looked at some pictures elsewhere to try and determine and can't really tell. It looks like it has a compressor so that's why I ask. So tempted to make an offer on this car.
I am open to offers not really needing to sell but if your interested let’s talk and set something up for you to see it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts