El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got a promotion ($$$) at work and I finally feel comfortable enough to snoop around for my dream ride. Anybody in the West Palm Beach or Boca area selling or know of somebody selling an elkie that is solid enough for a daily driver?

I don't have room or (enough) gear to properly revamp a project car or restore a beater, and I have to drive to work every day so it can't be a project car candidate (AKA junk). I can do some stuff like shocks or brakes or whatever- light maintenance work.

Let me know if there are any candidates in the area! Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
78 -87's

For a daily? I would go 78-87. These are probably not going to be classics therefore you would not be hurting a collector. They are basically the same cars as the 64 up. Parts are cheap and plentiful. You can find them cheap as well. First thing I would do is put in an 8.5 rearend. They were carburetor cars so no computer crap. Engines were kinda weak with all the pollution controls that never happened as now. Just find a low rust rig as cheap as you can.

They are a good looking car IMO as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For a daily? I would go 78-87. These are probably not going to be classics therefore you would not be hurting a collector. They are basically the same cars as the 64 up. Parts are cheap and plentiful. You can find them cheap as well. First thing I would do is put in an 8.5 rearend. They were carburetor cars so no computer crap. Engines were kinda weak with all the pollution controls that never happened as now. Just find a low rust rig as cheap as you can.

They are a good looking car IMO as well.

Yep that is what I was thinking. Carb'd engines that have emissions controls should be simple enough to modify since everything is mechanical. It's just a matter of finding one what was taken care of. I know there are a few on craigslist but my thinking was that somebody here would be more honest with me rather than somebody trying to sell me a POS on the internet.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Well then the bad news may be that they started using ECU's in 81 (I belive) since that is when all auto trannys except those behind diesel engines got lock up torque converters. So it is CCC (computer controlled carb). But hey! They work fine! And yes a 5th Gen will be your best choice for availability of replacement parts etc.

Good luck in your search! And get it out to some Region 6 meets when you do get it!
:florida::beer:

·
Premium Member
8,173 Posts
As others have said, the 5th gen is your best choice. Good luck with the search. Then you can build to your own style.

·
Elkybuick
2,815 Posts
Welcome if I here of something I will let you know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jude- I have one I'm selling - Listed on Space Coast CL- you can call me @ 321-508-0447 with questions, etc.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not a classic? :dontknow: It's debatable. The newest one is 30 years old, I'd say they are ALL classics. I also agree that the 5th gens are the most common and affordable. 1st and 4th gens being the hardest to find parts for.......
Don't forget a "late model" 6 cylinder will most likely have TBI........85-87 (I think) has a potential for AOD transmissions with a more modern gearset and run pretty decent. If you don't have to worry about smog checks any V8 Camino can be rid of it's CCC and distributor easy enough. Good luck with your search Jude......send us some pics when you find one! :werd:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jude- I have one I'm selling - Listed on Space Coast CL- you can call me @ 321-508-0447 with questions, etc.

https://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/6185737775.html

Is this you? I may have just emailed you lol

What price range are you looking in?
4-5k, I wish I could spend more. Here is the story (buckle up, I'm writing a novel): I've always wanted an elkie because I thought a powerful car with a truck bed was just really cool. I didn't get one though and opted for a '97 Blazer instead. Well that was high school and I went off to college and when I came back 4 years later my poor Blazer lay dead in the driveway. Lame job, no cash, and little options, I took to youtube to learn how to fix the car. With a lot of help and blood, sweat, and tears I ripped that ****ing thing apart over the years I owned it and learned a wee bit about vehicles.

Unfortunately, the rust was just too great to overcome without a full-on shop so I had to part ways with it. I live in Lake Worth and the jobs for people in my profession (graphic design) lie in Boca. So I went and bought a little put-put Chevy Sonic to make the 35 mile trip every day. It's fine. The car works. The tranny is a little funny and I feel like I'm going to die every time I get on 95; but I get 32mpg and it gets me to where I need to go. I honestly cannot complain.

BUT, as we all know, these cars don't hold their value. The loan is almost under water. I want to dump the car on some hippy, dump the bad equity, and drive a car I actually like (and is useful, because of the bed) and save a few grand. Yeah gas will be more but insurance will be a lot lower. The catch is that the elkie needs to also be able to make the daily trip to Boca through the Mad Max roads - reliably - until I can find a pad closer to work.

Plus it's an El Camino, the coolest car on the road.

Sorry for the long post, here is a potato.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As others have said, the 5th gen is your best choice. Good luck with the search. Then you can build to your own style.
Welcome if I here of something I will let you know.
Well then the bad news may be that they started using ECU's in 81 (I belive) since that is when all auto trannys except those behind diesel engines got lock up torque converters. So it is CCC (computer controlled carb). But hey! They work fine! And yes a 5th Gen will be your best choice for availability of replacement parts etc.

Good luck in your search! And get it out to some Region 6 meets when you do get it!
:florida::beer:
not mine, a nice 2 tone 5th gen (blu/wht) all orig in East Orlando... approx $7500
can supply ph via PM
I'll hit you up on that if nothing down here works out.

Not a classic? :dontknow: It's debatable. The newest one is 30 years old, I'd say they are ALL classics. I also agree that the 5th gens are the most common and affordable. 1st and 4th gens being the hardest to find parts for.......
Don't forget a "late model" 6 cylinder will most likely have TBI........85-87 (I think) has a potential for AOD transmissions with a more modern gearset and run pretty decent. If you don't have to worry about smog checks any V8 Camino can be rid of it's CCC and distributor easy enough. Good luck with your search Jude......send us some pics when you find one! :werd:
I want to thank everybody for their responses, I knew coming on here was the right decision. You guys rock. Can't wait to go to meets :alc:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
That one looks good from the pictures...not a bad price either. Look under the bedliner! Funny things can be found there.....looks like someone had a 5th wheel hitch put in mine.....had to have 6 small bolt holes fixed in mine.....it was covered up my a bed mat.

Don't care for the rails on the second one.....otherwise both are nice.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,585 Posts
Jude , Hope you are able to find a ride that is in your price range . A couple of the suggestions look good . We would love to have you join in the fun with us . Also good to see Jack Sippel ( Jax81 ) , posting . Jack was the winner of the very first " Major Brown Award " , we gave out at a Palm Beach Super Chevy Show a number of years ago :wink1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts