El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i feel like ive asked every question possible about the ac and what i need to do to get it working right and i get nothing. ive got a 1980 el camino with a 229 and the previous owner did some awful diy work on this thing.

ive already rewired all of the blower motor controls, nothing was color coded and it was all in the wrong place. but i got the blower motor running atleast.

now the problem is that it still has a very minimal amount of air coming out of the vents if any. from what ive read the vacuum lines control the blend doors??? and should also be color coded??? mine arent...

id really appreciate it if someone could give me a brief description of what hoses go where and what their function is. im going to school for avionics and airframe so this really shouldnt be such a big problem for me i just need a decent starting point

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Did you pull the A/C controls from the dash? There are 2 vacuum switches connected to the back of it. One on the passenger has 9 ports. The purple line from the vacuum ball under the hood comes in there and splits off and goes to the 2 port switch on the left side of the control. From this 2 port switch the other line is gray and that runs back out through the firewall and connects to the heater control valve. The other colors I don't remember but they are all mounted in a soft clear rubber plug that connects to the 9 port switch. There is also a splice connector in this harness of vacuum lines behind the glove box.
Check if you have these set up like this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
man i cant tell you how glad i was to see a reply so soon, this thing has been frustrating me for ever. im about to go take a quick look now and see if its anything like you say. like i said though, none of my vacuum hoses are color coded

·
2,566 Posts
Are we talking about the same vacuum lines? I'm not talking about vacuum lines under the hood. The colored lines are behind the dash and come off the 9 port vacuum switch attached tto the right(passenger) side of the A/C control unit.
Under the hood the only vacuum lines are a black plastic line from the top rear of the intake manifold behind the carb. This goes to the black round vacuum ball mounted near the accumulator on the heater box. On the ball is the purple line I mentioned above. This goes into the firewall and connects to the 9 port switch. Then it splits and sends a purple over to the 2 port switch. The gray on the 2 port goes back through the fiewall and connects to the heater control valve. So under the hood you should see the black hard plastic line, the gray hard plastic line and the purple hard plastic line.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright so from what I can tell when I pull the unit out, there's a small beige plastic piece on top at the very front with 3 ports for lines. Mine only has a line going to the middle and right side. The middle actually has a blue line on it (but I don't know the color code) the blue line t's off behind the glove box and the other line assume runs through the firewall. Not sure if that's enough for you to go on.....

·
2,566 Posts
Ok that is the 2 port switch on the left. What you think is a 3rd port is actually a stud that assures the mounting position is correct. It has/had a flat metal retainer on it to keep it from working loose. Look at the right rear of the switch. You should see the 9 port there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also after the t section the blue line proceeds though the firewall and up under the windshield wipers. The other line comes to a t as well in the engine bay and goes to one of the components(small cylender with two electrical connections and a hose coming back off right me to the first, the. To a large black ball with another hose coming off it but it's not hooked up) sorry I'm not familiar with any sort of ac work

·
2,566 Posts
My 78 shouldn't be any different. I have a black from the intake tee fitting behind the carb to the big port on the vac ball. Purple from the small port on the vac ball thru the firewall to the 9 port connector. Here the purple jumps over to the 2 port connector. Off the 2 port a gray back to the heater control valve. The gray sends vac to the heater control valve to shut it and prevent hot coolant from entering the heater core when AC is in MAX cold, hi fan. Doesn't really matter what colors you use but this is the path.
The other lines should be held in the proper positions by the plug that connects them to the 9 port connector. It can't be mounted wrong as it only fits over the offset studs one way.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine must be differant somehow, there's only the two lines coming off the ports on the left....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try to take a video of what I've got maybe it'll be easier for you to explain if you see what I'm working with

·
2,566 Posts
Yes that's right 2 lines off the 2 port switch on the left side. One should be purple the other gray. But like I said color isn't what's important. The path is all that matters. So one of those lines runs out to the heater control valve, right? OK now the other should go over to the 9 port switch on the right and then back out to the vac ball small port.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stand by i just took a video so you can see what im seeing im bout to upload it to youtube and send you the link

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright videos up, not sure why it shows up like that on youtube but hopefully you can guide me from there

·
2,566 Posts
I thought all the AC control switches were the same 78-87? Looks like yours is different. Mine doesn't have that long beige vacuum switch. I have a small round 2 port and a larger round 9 port.
That's an AC switch or heat only?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i guess theyre just different? ive got the haynes and chiltons manuals but neither have anything about vacuum lines in them. not sure if youve seen the electronic module darby did? but i want to do that eventually just dont have the money now and i want to get what ive got working in the meantime.

im tellin ya though, for as good as the car looks for 32 years old the home jobs the previous owner did are so bad!!!!! my teacher use to work for nasa and it took me and him like 2.5 hours to just rewire the relay for the blower motor!!!

darbys electro hvac mod: https://sites.google.com/site/darbyselky/home/electronic-hvac-controls

the guy did such a nice job on that car!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Did that control have A/C controls on it? It doesn't look like anything I've seen in a Chevy dash in a long time. I wonder if the previous owner put it in?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it looked EXACTLY like the one posted earlier in the thread just worn out and cracked up untill it finally fell out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heater-Air-...mino&hash=item3cc9dccaf4&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_976

you think i just need to go ahead and buy a newer one maybe? im very new to the car world still. i know a little bit but then again i know a guy who you can tell him the problem with almost anything and he knows exactly where to look to fix it in 10 sec. its nuts! so im kinda relying on the forum untill i pick up on things

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
when i say it looked exactly the same i mean the face of the unit not the module behind the dash where im stuggling with what goes where

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It sounds like you have a different AC control head in your Elky. Go pick one up out of the junk yard for 20 bucks and get everything needed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts