El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. I was curious if anyone has any experience with the Hypertech tuning chips. I noticed that the chip is supposed to be used with high octane fuel (93 in my area), and was just wondering if doing that would have a big impact on my engine? My El Camino is an 86 with a 305 and q-jet carb. Just trying to pull some more power out of the engine, mainly torque, and I've read these help. But I'd like input from my fellow El Camino friends.

Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
if the engine is carbed then i really doubt a chip is going to do you any good or effect how it runs. if available i would recommend ethanol free which is sometimes available in higher grades like 91. that would likely do the carb good. i know E-free 91 octane is all i run in my elcamino. seems like it helps the engine start better when warm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the engine is carbed then i really doubt a chip is going to do you any good or effect how it runs. if available i would recommend ethanol free which is sometimes available in higher grades like 91. that would likely do the carb good. i know E-free 91 octane is all i run in my elcamino. seems like it helps the engine start better when warm.
Thanks! I am definitely going to be on the lookout for that fuel. But I will add, since I already have the chip i decided to just give it a trial run (only a mile down the road since I just filled up with regular fuel and wanted a little more insight on it before keeping the new chip in). But I did notice a very significant increase in torque. I guess I'm just a little weary about constantly using high octane (not that I drive it every single day, but I do drive it a few times a week).

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
all high octane does is prevent any pre-detonation of the fuel. with today's computer controlled cars where they monitor and control everything to the nTh-degree, you can afford to run 87 and not have any problems. with our older cars, unless you've done a modern drivetrain swap, you may have to run 91 or better. that torque increase you're noticing may just simply be less pre-detonation which translates into more accurate detonation cycle and not having to fight the pre-detonation

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all high octane does is prevent any pre-detonation of the fuel. with today's computer controlled cars where they monitor and control everything to the nTh-degree, you can afford to run 87 and not have any problems. with our older cars, unless you've done a modern drivetrain swap, you may have to run 91 or better. that torque increase you're noticing may just simply be less pre-detonation which translates into more accurate detonation cycle and not having to fight the pre-detonation
Thank you! I have been trying to do some research on it, and your straight-to-the-point answer is exactly the information i wanted to know. Appreciate it cyberray

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
It's likely that the chip is just improving the ignition timing. That may be why they recommend a higher octane, since the timing may be now set at a level where more detonation might occur with regular. This chip provides about the same amout of timing change as comes from an '87 Monte Carlo SS chip, and that is an easier solution for many ( just replace the chip and ECM ( needs the 87 up ecm).

For a significant power improvement, change the rear gear ratio. It will feel like you've added 100 HP! Again, easiest swap is to find a Monte SS rear and just bolt it in- it's a direct swap, and should come with 3.42 or 3.73 ( later years), most with Posi to boot. Takes about an hour to swap the entire rear like this.

Reactions: Jolene86

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's likely that the chip is just improving the ignition timing. That may be why they recommend a higher octane, since the timing may be now set at a level where more detonation might occur with regular. This chip provides about the same amout of timing change as comes from an '87 Monte Carlo SS chip, and that is an easier solution for many ( just replace the chip and ECM ( needs the 87 up ecm).

For a significant power improvement, change the rear gear ratio. It will feel like you've added 100 HP! Again, easiest swap is to find a Monte SS rear and just bolt it in- it's a direct swap, and should come with 3.42 or 3.73 ( later years), most with Posi to boot. Takes about an hour to swap the entire rear like this.
Awesome! Thanks! I'll definitely look around for the rear end. Definitely need posi, though. My Elky's got posi right now and I know I can't give that up. But as for the chip, theoretically, would it be the same if I changed my timing manually then used higher octane?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Depends upon how you change timing. If you recurve your distributor so that power comes in more quickly, probably yes. (I’m not sure about doing that on a computer controlled distributor but presume it’s a function of swapping weights and springs). If you’re just advancing it without recurving it, you may have trouble cranking when hot. As for the posi; if you have a posi now and buy a 7.5 Monte rear, you can swap your posi unit into the Monte rear.
Patrick

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
Timing is controlled by the ECM, so no real changes can be made in timing, other than advancing or retarding your initial setting. The Factory suggests 0 degrees, and the timing table is set for that. You can advance you timing to as much as 6 degree BTDC, and the ECM can handle it, but you may get some pinging. That's basically what the Hypertech chip does- provide a more aggressive timing table ( probably copied from the Monte SS chip). Higher octane can help with the pinging. The ECM assumes you are at 0 degrees to start, and just adds timing based on a table, so with a higher starting point, you get more advanced timing, until it starts to pull timing because it detects knock. The knock detector will detect knock well before you hear it. Higher octane can help with the pinging. You may also run a little hotter if you advance your timing too far.

If you have posi now, and your ratio is below 3.08 now, then your posi may not fit with the gears from a Monte axle. The carriers for the posi change from series 2 to series 3 starting with anything above 2.73, IIRC. If you are going to the trouble of switching gears on a posi carrier, just as easy to get some "Thick" gears for your current posi axle in the better ratio. They will have to be set up the same way if you are not swapping the entire axle assy. That's the benefit of the entire axle swap- no special tools or labor to get the gears set up properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts